Corral & Henderson lock up Region I titles as Pima men's track sits in 2nd place
The Pima Community College men’s track & field team picked up two Region I crowns after the third day of competition at the NJCAA Region I Championships on Tuesday at Mesa Community College.
The Aztecs are in a tight race in the team standings. They sit in second place with 87 points while Mesa is in first place with 90. Central Arizona College is in third place with 68 points while Paradise Valley Community College is in fourth with 51 points.
Freshman Emmanuel Corral (Pusch Ridge Christian HS) led from start-to-finish as he took first place in the 3,000-meter steeplechase and improved on his national qualifying time at 9 minutes, 37.86 seconds. He earned 10 team points for the Aztecs.
Sophomore Donovan Henderson earned the top spot in the Long Jump as he finished with a mark of 7.01 meters (23-feet) on his final attempt. He also got 10 team points for the Aztecs.
Sophomore Chalen Lozano (Marana HS) fell short in repeating as the 10,000-meters region champion as he took second place with a time of 32:42.75. He earned eight points for Pima.
Freshman Joshua Bowen finished second in the Javelin with a mark of 52.40 meters (171-11) as he earned eight points.
Sophomore Reece Gardner (Marana HS) claimed second place in the Pole Vault with a mark of 4.41 meters (14-5.50) earning another eight points for Pima.
Other Pima finishes that earned team points:
- Nathan Plant, Gamar Gerem (Amphitheater HS), Zach Zobak, Joel Gardner (Ironwood Ridge HS) – 4th in the 4x800 relay 8:16.82 (5 points)
- Forrest Waller (Palo Verde HS) – 4th in Javelin 47.83 meters (156-11) (5 points)
- Mikhail Browne – 4th in Long Jump 6.91 meters (22-8) (5 points)
- Terrion Amicks (Peoria HS) – 5th in Long Jump 6.87 meters (22-6.50) (4 points)
- Adrian Teso (Benson HS) – 6th in Hammer Throw 42.34 meters (138-11) (3 points)
- Daniel Perez (Desert View HS) – 6th in 3,000 meter steeplechase 10:33.80 (3 points)
- Reece Gardner (Marana HS) – 7th in Javelin 45.44 meters (149-1) (2 points)
- Joshua Bowen – 7th in Pole Vault 3.05 meters (10-0) (2 points)
- Collins Maiyo (Marana HS) – 8th in 3,000 meter steeplechase 11:00.61 (1 point)
The final day of the NJCAA Region I Championship is on Thursday at Mesa Community College. Events begin at 5 p.m.