opinion

Comments on Comic: Politics (and cartoons)

'So where's all the comics disparaging Obama…?'

Thoughts on the art of editorial cartooning

An explanation of the art of editorial cartooning.

Read the full story »

Comments are temporarily disabled on TucsonSentinel.com while we upgrade our system.

Sep 26, 2012, 9:26 am

So, I gave you inspiration to write this long diatribe, and I don’t even get mention in the piece? I’m not asking for a check, but come on…give credit where it is due.

Sep 26, 2012, 9:29 am

@Bret Linden

That’s why there’s a link ; )

Sep 26, 2012, 9:41 am

@Dylan Smith

Not enough. If the guy is going to write a 3000 word piece or whatever it was, based on a comment I made, then said commenter deserves a mention. “Who” is one of the five W’s y’all learn in J school, yes?

You guys don’t get all ADS on me now…

Sep 27, 2012, 7:38 am

The “wound tighter than a Baptist minister’s wife’s girdle…” jab is pretty funny, and accurate.  Obama seems to be constantly on guard.  Haters are gonna hate, no matter how hard he tries to give them reason to change, but then again, maybe what we see is what we get.  And that really isn’t so bad, if you think about it.  The poor guy only has Bo to balance out the estrogen at home…and he’s probably neutered!

Sep 27, 2012, 2:13 pm

Here DeVito or whatever your name is…if you have 53 seconds, this video will give you plenty of material/inspiration for taking shots at Obama.

Obama has given you plenty…you just didn’t want it. You’re not even close to balanced. Your bias is not only apparent, it is blatant.

Sep 29, 2012, 2:38 am

I’m going to get the last word, Bret Linden, because after clicking “Submit”, I’m done with you.

You’re a troll.

I wrote the above piece as a thoughtful, polite response to your (typically) rude trolling comment on an earlier comic. Your responses above have been even ruder. Is this your online persona only? Or do you behave this way when you interact with people in the flesh?

You continually show yourself to be the personification of all that’s wrong with American politics: blinkered, biased and incapable of reasoned, thoughtful dialogue. You (intentionally?) missed the entire point of the above opinion piece, which is that cartooning is (for many of us) about the material, not people or parties.

Have you voted for both Democrats and Republicans? Or do you vote a straight (presumably Republican) party ticket? Do you vote on the candidates’ merits, after considering their policy platforms? Or do you, sheeplike, wait for instructions from GOP headquarters, or Fox News?

Has it escaped your notice that the smartest and best Republican politicians are giving this election a miss? That Mitt Romney is their stalking horse? Or sacrificial lamb? The last guy in the room to know it? To get clued in, read Republican thought leaders such as Karl Rove, as I do.

I’m done with you. If you’d like to engage in proper dialogue, let the editor know, and he’ll let me know. But life is too short to spend time with trolls.

Adios.

Sep 29, 2012, 10:03 am

@Roberto De Vido

Well, if you’re “done with me”, then it sounds like I’m going to get the last word. Besides, if yours is a “last word” post, then what are you doing asking me questions?

Your piece may have been polite, but it was also rambling and non-sensical with no linear direction whatsoever. I feel dumber for having attempted reading it. However, your responses to me in the comments section have been every bit as “rude” as you accuse me of being.

My online persona? I just tell it like it is. Online or in the flesh, whenever someone constantly demonstrates self-righteousness, or is in way over their head, I call them out on it.

The next three paragraphs of the above idiotic diatribe clearly demonstrate that you rarely, if ever, read any of my posts….

-I have repeatedly stated I am politically centrist and a registered independent.
-I have repeatedly stated that the two-party system has destroyed the intended system of government in this country, and that if we revere George Washington so much then we should have taken the advice he gave in his farewell address when he told us not to devolve to this.
-I have repeatedly stated that talking heads are a waste of resources, and have chastised those who get upset by them, stating that if they would have done the right thing by not watching the talking head then they wouldn’t have been bothered by it.
-I have repeatedly, and most heavily, criticized this electorate here for voting a straight party ticket, and barely even knowing the candidates names…let alone what they stand for. No, I do not engage in identical behavior. Just because someone who was shot in the head told me to vote a Colonel Sanders look-a-like to Congress is not enough of a reason for me to do so, and I stated that how many times on these boards?

For your information, I haven’t watched Fox News in years. When I did watch, it was only to view War Stories with Oliver North. Once FN stopped showing that, I stopped watching them.

If I appear biased, I apologize for that. But, I’m really not. The reason I bash Democrats most often is because most often they’re the ones occupying political offices in this town, and most often when a politician is incompetent or corrupt or embarrassing this community around here, it is a Democrat. Republicans in this town don’t have very many similar opportunities to draw by ire simply because they’re not elected very often around here. The few we do have around here either do a pretty good job, or stay under the radar…Steve Kozachik and Braindead Bob being two notable exceptions to that, of course.

Even though our ballots are secret in this country, I have no problem telling you who I voted for, or who I am going to vote for. In this Presidential election, I am going to vote for Romney. Is he far from perfect, and far from an ideal candidate. However, Obama has shown in so many ways that he is in way over his head, and clearly not cut out to be president. If anyone needs the whys explained to them, then they’re beyond hope and wouldn’t listen to me anyway. The point is that-boiled down-I am voting for Romney because I would rather vote for the guy who is probably[i/] bad over the guy I know is bad.

De Vido, my interest in maintaining a dialogue is very minimal. I legitimately don’t understand why “The Editor” gives you part of his bandwidth. You have demonstrated a complete absence of humor, a horrible lack of talent or creativity, you lack objectivity, and based on the above comment and several others, you clearly show that you are way too thin-skinned for this line of work.

De Vido, if you insist on wasting your time futily attempting to continue doing what you’re trying to do, you would do well to learn something from the editor. Dylan and rarely agree on anything. However, I respect the man. He accepts public criticisms of his pieces with grace and dignity, and he defends his positions firmly and intelligently. You would do well to do the same. I would recommend that you do your best to emulate him, but you are so far beyond hope that my recommendation to you is just to get out of this line of work.

Sep 29, 2012, 10:04 am

Damn italics went wrong…sorry about that. I would fix, but I can’t edit.