opinion

Comments on Smart v. Stupid

Do conservatives deserve a punch in the nose?

One writer ponders the punch in the nose as a path to civility.

Read the full story »

Comments are temporarily disabled on TucsonSentinel.com while we upgrade our system.

Sep 26, 2011, 7:57 am

Wow…where to start…

Could someone explain to me, and I mean REALLY dumb it down, how a punch in the nose doesn’t equate to violence?

This is one of the worst opinion pieces I’ve ever read…and that’s really saying something. I have a couple of other points:

-Yeah, the anti-Obama guy was an idiot for damaging his car’s paint job with a bunch of bumper stickers, but so too was the author’s kid for giving him the thumbs down. If the kid got flipped off, he had it coming, and learned one of life’s lessons early.

-I’m not siding with the right here, as I think both sides are equally stupid and equally damaging to our nation and her way of life, but come on…isn’t it the left who is trying to hi-jack the word “civility” and redefine it? To me, it appears as if the left wants the word “civil” to either mean “censorship”, or they want it to mean “it’s our way or the highway. If you don’t like it, too bad. Just keep your mouth shut and like it”. The latter appears to be braindead Bob’s position. Yeah, I know he classifies himself as a republican, but he’s the most left-wing, democrat-like republican I’ve ever seen. Walkup is republican like I’m athletic and in great shape.

I found the Sentinel last week, and upon first impressions I was rather impressed. But, now, if the Sentinel is going to reprint crap like this…I just don’t know. This piece made me dumber for having read it, and I feel a sense of loss that the four minutes it took me to read it is gone forever and I’ll never get that time back.

Sep 26, 2011, 9:40 am

So, now a liberal who subscribes to the “don’t work unless you have to” ethos is advocating the redefinition of violence as non-violence.  You can’t win the battle of ideas and facts-based philosophies with a substantive argument, thus it follows that all you are left with is to attempt to silence / intimidate your enemies (President Obama’s word) through advocating violence.

“...some poor cancer slob” is jeered by conservatives with a “let him die” mantra?  Seriously?

“If you truly believe in peace, cooperation and a civilized society, you have to be willing to be the instrument of its defense.”  Have you served in the military to prove your (what I’ll bet is a very recent and selective) belief?

When your son gets beat up at school (you know, punched in the nose repeatedly), will you tell him to “buck up”...and view it as non-violent?

The list of the author’s idiotic utterances is far too long to dissect in short order, but I will conclude with the following:

What your disrespectful 8-yr old got was a lesson in free speech.

I live in the DC area now, also.  Perhaps we’ll cross paths sometime.  If we do, feel free to initiate a non-violent summit.

Sep 26, 2011, 10:13 am

I see you’re taking Obama’s ‘new civility’ memo to heart, Jimmy.

I sure hope your aggressive babbling doesn’t inspire some Leftist nutjob to violence - or that which you don’t really think is violence. The police will have a different definition, though. Count on it, Jimmy.

Do you hate monger and bigot much, or is today special?

Sep 26, 2011, 11:44 am

But redefining the relationship between cooperating citizens and anarchists is an important job. Because by our tolerance we’ve let these people get louder and louder while simultaneously getting dumber and dumber. It’s time to redraw the boundaries.

I assumed you were describing the Wisconsin unions’ antics. Everywhere I see anarchists and violence it has been leftist perpetrators.

Be careful inciting violence against those with whom you disagree. They may reciprocate and we all know those Teabaggers pack heat ;-)

Sep 26, 2011, 12:50 pm

Hey Jimmy, did you speak out against the leftist who bit the finger off a conservative?  How about when the SEIU thugs who threw racial epitahts at a black Tea Party member and proceeded to beat him down?  Oh, there is the one of a NC man who witnessed his wife being shoved by a leftist and came in the defense of his wife only to be punched in the face.

To be honest most of us real Americans are tiring of the fake outrage by those on the far left who always love to lecture us about how to behave because we WILL provoke the next shooting.  The problem with people like you is you can never follow through with your own words.  You incite others and yet are oblivious to doing so.

How did we get to this point that politicians have successfully split the American people and are now grabbing more and more power while we point at each other out of anger?  Our founders would simply express their shame at us.  We are a divided nation because we have allowed politicians to divide this nation, a nation who has stood proudly together during some really difficult history and now our very freedoms are being destroyed while we bicker among each other.

Sep 27, 2011, 4:42 am

•The entire fabric of our society would be improved if loudmouth right-wingers didn’t know who among us might offer them a knock in the nostrils.

Do you apply the same logic to the concealed carrying of sidearms?  After all, if you never know who among us might be able to offer armed resistance, criminals would be less likely to attack.

Perhaps logical consistency is too much to expect.

Sep 27, 2011, 5:00 am

I’ll ask again, since you deleted it the first time.

Are you logically consistent enough and intellectually honest enough to apply this to the concealed carrying of sidearms?

If criminals couldn’t be sure who might be able to offer armed resistance they would attack less.

Sep 27, 2011, 5:01 am

Oops.  Comment not deleted.  I apologize.

Mea Culpa.

Sep 29, 2011, 10:29 am

After a few belly laughs, I am taking Jimmy Zuma’s message figuratively.
The most effective punch-in-the-nose to these conservatives and t-partyers is a verbal trouncing. Be eloquent, be proactive, speak up to those who would attempt to drown out the voices of centrist and liberal America (albeit in a much dumbed-down, lock-stepped
teabonics cadence). KO!

Sep 29, 2011, 11:03 am

Well at least the column drew some views.

Quietwoman2 where have you seen angry mobs yelling in order to drown out the opposition?

Hint: It’s not at any Tea Party even I’ve attended except for the obnoxious SEIU and Communist groups (I repeat myself) that always show up with a bullhorn and chant mindless slogans during the presentation people are politely trying to hear.

Fox News (yes I uttered their name don’t faint!) is one of few media organizations that presents conservative views as valid instead of evil aberrations. Otherwise conservative views are the ones being silenced. You guys are in for a rude awakening in 2012 the adults are fed up.