opinion

Comments on Guest opinion

Kicking sand in the face of Arizona's down and out

When Senate Majority Whip Steve Pierce glibly opened Monday's reconvened special session by explaining away his notable absence Friday with his day-at-the-beach soliloquy, it was apparent this day – like any other day – would be anything but for Arizona's unemployed.

Jun 14, 2011, 7:15 pm

Very sad, this slap-in-the-face callous treatment of those most in need- by Repugnant-can Party Line locksteppers, who want to show Arizonans exactly what the RiP are trying to do on the National level as well…
So get in line you unemployed but wanting to be toiling AZ masses, as the Repugnicans march you off the nearest cliff into the ozone, unless you use this time of unemployment to look for work AND actively oppose those who treat the down and out with such cold hard disdain in the name of the savings of a pittance of cold, hard cash.

Jun 15, 2011, 9:24 am

I have been amoungst the unemployed and it took me 16 months to find work. I worked for 13 months and was recently laid off due to no work. I am again back where I started. I do not want to NOT work and though unemployment helps, it doesn’t cover all the bills I have and I don’t like the options of pay bills or eat which shall I do? I don’t want to and couldn’t afford to file for bankruptcy if it leads to that and all the while our government can afford vacations? they can afford to toil? What ever happened to the people, by the people and for the people? If it is at no cost to the state, then whats so hard about making the changes needed to ensure a little more survival for the masses? -God is watching!-

Jun 15, 2011, 10:11 am

Question-unemployment rate in April was 9.3 percent, down from 9.5 percent in March. The figures are not out for Arizona May unemployment yet, what happens if that unemployment shoots back up to 9.5 percent, does that reinstate the extension.

Jun 15, 2011, 10:26 am

that’s a good question…if it’s written in you’d think it would be…google it?!

Jun 15, 2011, 10:32 am

Great question, @mrdave. We’ll try to track down that info. If any readers know the answer, please chime in.

Jun 15, 2011, 10:50 am

The quick answer: probably not, mrdave.

The rate used to calculate whether Extended Benefits are triggered is a rolling 3-month number, compared to the previous 2 (or 3) years.

Given that Arizona’s peak unemployment was in Nov/Dec 2009, and we’re now below the month-to-month comparison with 2009, it would take a large uptick in the jobless number to retrigger EB here, it seems.

Somebody with some real math skills can calculate what it would take… ; )