opinion

Comments on Guest opinion

Evans: I chose unemployment rather than work for 10/13 Communications

Editor Mark B. Evans on why he chose not to continue at Inside Tucson Business: "I choose not to elevate 10/13’s reputation in town by lending it mine, nor do I want to risk seeing my reputation tarnished by attaching it to 10/13’s. I would rather be unemployed and risk financial ruin than work for Randy Miller."

May 1, 2014, 8:55 am

Tough choice Mark. I was able to leave the Tucson Citizen before Gannett killed it. I noticed the brass of 10/13 are Gannett trainees. Profits over product, profits over people…the new American way. Good luck.

May 1, 2014, 10:13 am

Your portrayal that 13th Street Media was responsible for the East Valley Tribune falling apart is not accurate. The wheels were coming off under Freedom Communications well before the selling of the paper. I worked for Freedom at the time while it was being downsized. We didn’t feel it was particularly strong paper - didn’t hold out much hope for it.

Pete

May 1, 2014, 2:13 pm

Good for you, Mark.

I’m not claiming to be smart or experienced or wise or anything like that. But, my 40 years on this earth has taught me a few things…

Looking back now, every time I sold out my pride, my dignity, or my principles to keep a job, I regret every instance and I am ashamed of myself when I reflect upon those memories. Looking back at every time I stood up for myself and did was was right despite losing a job, I don’t regret it whatsoever and am proud of myself when I reflect upon those memories.

Life is too short to be miserable. It sounds to me like this 10/13 place doesn’t know how to run a shop, or at the very least a shop you would be compatible with. To steal a quote from my all-time favorite movie: “There are other jobs out there. You’re bound to be qualified for at least one of them.”

Everything in life is temporary, even financial inconvenience from being unemployed. You’ll do fine.

May 2, 2014, 5:38 pm

It’s not easy or inexpensive to speak the truth.  As one of the original owners of the Explorer Newspaper,  Mark Evans was our Editor for ten years.  In the course of our work; we fought, we celebrated and we learned that bringing the news to the community, truthfully and unbiased wasn’t easy or inexpensive - but it was good for the community and good for business.

Over the fifteen years we owned the newspaper, we built it from nothing to the largest, privately owned newspaper in Arizona, largely due to Marks knowledge and leadership, along with some of the finest people in the media business. Instead of taking profits out of the business, we were convinced that investing in complete coverage was important to our community.  Our readers and our advertisers knew they could trust the news they received and the business they built from it.  We specialized in supporting local business and our community through outreach and support.  We were the trusted news source for a reason, no other media covered it like the Explorer did.

Obviously, when we sold to Mr. Miller, we didn’t realize his business model was so much different then ours, But face it - he makes a lot of money and has been fortunate to retain some very talented staff to make that happen.  Now that he’s taken over a majority of the print media in the greater tucson market, I can only hope the staff and leadership he hires can convince him that covering the community and keeping good readership - equals profits too.

I believe it’s the obligation of the media to give people the whole story-unbiased and complete.  Keeping our public representatives actions transparent and keeping the community informed.  It costs money to cover the community, so the readers can trust the coverage. That trust is not something to fool with…I’ve always held my reputation to that standard and hope he will too.

Good luck Mark…you always held us accountable and I hope the readers will hold 10/13 accountable too.

May 2, 2014, 8:11 pm

10/13 has every right to a profit, not only for those who own a stake but also the employees drawing a paycheck. Mark, I hope you are happy with your decision 4-5 years from now. Stay alive bro.

May 5, 2014, 10:25 am

“As one of the original owners of the Explorer Newspaper,  Mark Evans was our Editor for ten years.”

I think what MelanieL means is that SHE was one of the owners. Misplaced phrasing. But a good comment.
Too bad the Explorer people sold out.

May 6, 2014, 7:27 pm

Mark’s integrity precedes him in all environments. The Fourth Estate is well served by his decision. The other three Estates of the Realm are the ones that are prostituting the industry.