opinion

Comments on Comic: Seventeen Words For Snow

The Brady caste system

'Til the one day when the lady was arranged to meet this fellow...

It struck me that the easily recognizable 3-by-3 familial square of the American Brady Bunch might play out quite differently elsewhere. Such as in India, where the caste system continues to thrive in rural regions.

Read the full story »

Comments are temporarily disabled on TucsonSentinel.com while we upgrade our system.

Apr 8, 2010, 10:19 am

All I can say is that in MY caste system Marcia, Marcia, Marcia is at the top of the pyramid, and should be worshiped as the teen goddess she was.

Apr 8, 2010, 7:59 pm

Hahaha. I’d have liked to leave some room for Cousin Oliver and Kitty Carryall up there, but alas, I had to keep the pyramid shape intact, and there wasn’t enough room for them.

Where can I read some of your music writing?

Apr 8, 2010, 8:23 pm

The extent of my music writing was profiles of and interviews with bands in Baltimore, when the Unicorn Times out of DC was trying to move into that market. Since I’m not a musician, I always felt less comfortable writing about music than about films. So, I never saved any of those articles, and of course they don’t exist out on the Internet anywhere. The policy of the paper was to never criticize a local band, but just to cover those we agreed were worthy.  At the Sentinel launch party, I handed Maggie Golston a disc that has some of my film reviews and interviews with actors done for a Hermosa Beach, CA, weekly paper called The Easy Reader—OK, it was founded in 1970, a year after a certain movie came out, thus the silly name. It’s still in business, but they didn’t go that far back to when I wrote for them, in the early 80s, when they created their digital archives—and I didn’t do music for them. So, short answer, no where.

Apr 8, 2010, 8:39 pm

Also, the whole Brady Bunch phenomenon happened during a generation after mine. But Christine Taylor, as Marcia, was certainly a redeeming aspect of the two later theatrical movies. And, now, damn it , she’s with Ben Stiller.  It was bad enough when P.J Soles (from “Rock and Roll High School”) chose Dennis Quaid over me—but then she never met me, and I was not an up and coming famous actor. As far as Meg Ryan, well, maybe that was Quaid’s punishment for stealing P.J. Soles from me. So look out Ben Stiller, you could end up with Sandra Bullock. Poetic justice works in strange ways.

Apr 9, 2010, 5:51 pm

Sooooo many ways to slice the Brady cake in this way.

For example: all the men on one side, with enough drugs and booze and condoms to last the weekend; all the women ... somewhere else.

Or did I just go too far? :D

Apr 10, 2010, 4:52 am

Roberto, Are you testing the Sentinel’s filtering software again? Next you’ll be shattering my illusions about the Cowsills.

Apr 10, 2010, 5:01 am

The beauty of software filters is their essential dumbness. I can write “drugs, booze and condoms” in the context of Brady men and the gay bacchanal unfolds, vividly, in our minds. The Sentinel’s obscenity filters, however, lacking imagination and context, are left scratching their ... whatever it is they scratch.

Read more about

india, seventeen words for snow