Sponsored by

Kozachik: Why I'm switching registration to Democrats

In the past two years I have made an effort to resist the Republican lurch to the right. The Arizona Republican Party is an ideological outlier. I am not. I will therefore be changing my party registration to Democrat.... Read more»

Jan 11, 2013, 5:09 pm

It makes sense.  He’s my favorite council member and has always seemed and acted more like a Democrat would.

Jan 11, 2013, 5:46 pm

I have a lot of respect for Mr. Kozachik. He is the only council member that consistently make sense. I wish he would change his party affiliation to Independent as that is what he actually is, not having obligations to either major party.

Jan 11, 2013, 6:50 pm

Let’s hope that the Dems remember these feelings when our representative in Congress, Ron Barber, represents the many Republicans in his district as well as he represents the Dems, across party lines.
Both are rational centrists trying t do good work and fulfill their obligations to people, not parties.
I think that both should start a third party of effective centrists. (Shadrio, an ‘independent’ is a voter. Independent candidates are those without a machine to get elected, and therefore, tend not to get elected.)
In any case, the only bad thing about his changing teams is that I no longer have a Republican that I can point at as an example of what the party used to be like.

Jan 12, 2013, 9:34 am

Anyone who regularly reads my posts knows my feelings about political parties. They’re gangs in government, and they ALL need to be abolished.

That said, Kozachik saying he is a centrist is a lie, and it is an insult to all true centrists like myself. Kozachik is a hard-core liberal, has been for many years now. Were he really a centrist, he would have re-registered independent as so many in our state have done in recent years.

My guess is this is a stunt to win reelection. The last election showed, more than other elections in my opinion, just how blinded by the “D” label this electorate is. Look at the last Sheriff’s race…I can not recall any race in history at any layer of government where a candidate so good and so deserving lost to a candidate that was so bad and so undeserving. But, the “D” again…I think this is Kozachik being scared of losing his job.

Jan 12, 2013, 12:21 pm

Calling Kozachic a “hard core Liberal” is ludicrous.  You may be the “center” of your own world, but he is actually pretty close to the center of Tucson’s political spectrum, whether you like it or not.  We are not and never will be Queen Creek.

Jan 12, 2013, 2:32 pm

No centrist would have thought that a silly gun buyback would have accomplished anything whatsoever other than wasting resources and embarrassing our community.

No centrist would have ever been a cheerleader for the choo choo train while hundreds (if not thousands) of potholes go ignored.

No centrist would have taken the “just move on” approach to Rio Nuevo, nor suggested that the transgressors of that waste/mismanagement/thievery go without consequences.

No centrist would have ever done…whatever the hell that thing was at the Loft last Monday, scheduled at the same time time as the BCS championship. I wasn’t there, but I read the stories…didn’t see a lot of bipartisanship there.

Should I go on?

And, what in the world has Queen Creek have to do with any of this? I visit Queen Creek twice a year. They seem to be managing their growth responsibly, they don’t have potholes, and no one there is talking about a choo choo train or stealing $230M of tax payer dollars under a Rio Nuevo type scam. So, you’re right…unfortunately for Tucson, it is not and never will be a Queen Creek.

Jan 12, 2013, 2:43 pm

sounds like someone ought to move to Queen Creek where Russell Pearce is a centrist.

Jan 12, 2013, 2:52 pm

I and a sizeable chunk of the Tucson electorate are politically to the left of Kusachik.  You and another, smaller chunk are to his right.  That makes him a centrist.  Comprende?

Jan 12, 2013, 3:32 pm

@Dave Moyer

Who is Kusachik?

And, by using your logic, 75 is halfway between 0-100.

OK then…

Jan 12, 2013, 3:49 pm

mmm, thanks for the spelling correction.  My point is that “centrist” doesn’t mean “someone who agrees with me”, unless you are extraordinarily narcissistic.  Queen Creek is calling you.

Jan 12, 2013, 5:15 pm

@Dave Moyer

What the hell is it with you and Queen Creek? Since you’re obsessed with that, I just searched the text of the article. I did not find the words “Queen” or “Creek”. Additionally, this is the Tucson Sentinel. Kozachik, for better or for worse (mostly worse), is a member of the Tucson City Council.

I don’t know if you need a map or reading lessons or some other sort of professional help, but something with you is very wrong and you need to look into it.

Jan 15, 2013, 1:54 pm

Kozachic, sounds like the most sane Repugnant Party, or, I should say, former member of the American version of Nazism. He took a very pro-active stance on the gun buy-out, which I respect him for. We are in a time of history where showing really, who you are matters The time for extremism is not the direction our state and nation need to navigate through, we have much more pressing problems…the Repugnant Party have destroyed the economy…Rest Areas, on state highways closed, AZ Parks the same… And look at our roads, we look very much like Mexico, where nothing for the public good is ever achieved or, accomplished. Cheers to Kozachic! Micky Smythe.

Jan 16, 2013, 4:00 pm

Wow…

You know folks, if you want to know how to correctly spell the guy’s name, just scroll up a little bit. Or, look in your address bar. It is right in front of you. How in the world you guys keep misspelling the name right in front of your face is far beyond my comprehension.

And, Mickey Smythe, blaming the condition of Tucson’s streets on the Republicans? Really? I’ll let you think about that one for a while…

Jan 17, 2013, 10:44 am

I apologize to Mr. Kosachik, and to Mr. Linden, for misspelling Mr.Kosachik’s name. Mr. Linden, I stick to all I wrote about the Anti-Government Party. If someone wants to correct me on a misspelling, with all our problems, you realize how paranoid they must be, ya’ know, then, everything’s gonna’ be cool in the empire. All the Repugnants, and their fellow-extremist, do, is illustrate their fragility. Micky Smythe.

Sorry, we missed your input...

You must be logged in or register to comment

Categories

Flags, news, politics & government, local, arizona, opinion, guest opinion, breaking
Sponsored by

Top Commenters

• Bret Linden: 1767
  • Dylan Smith: 554
  • Cactus Dave: 339
  • buddhaboy: 316
  • Roberto De Vido: 270
  • EllieMae: 197
  • Brittanicus: 176
  • Quietwoman2: 172
  • TucsonGirl: 116
  • janamg: 88
Sponsored by

I want to help TucsonSentinel.com offer a real news alternative!

We're committed to making quality news accessible; we'll never set up a paywall or charge for our site. But we rely on your support to bring you independent news without the spin. Use our convenient PayPal/credit card donation form below or contact us at donate@tucsonsentinel.com today.

Subscribe and stretch your donation over time:

$10/mo. Cub Reporter
$15/mo. Printer's Devil
$20/mo. Stringer
$40/mo. Correspondent
$50/mo. Senior Correspondent
Enter your own monthly amount (number only)

Or give a secure one-time gift with PayPal or your credit card:

$5,000 Newshound
$2,500 Trusted Source
$1,000 Copy Desk Chief
$500 Correspondent
$250 Stringer
$100 Printer's Devil
$50 Cub reporter
$25 Informed Source
$10 Dear Reader
Enter your own amount (below)

TucsonSentinel.com is an Arizona nonprofit organization. Your contribution is tax-deductible.

User Guidelines

Please be respectful and relevant. Thought-provoking. Or at least funny.

We want comments to advance the discussion and we need your help. Debate, disagree, yell (digitally) or laugh, but do it with respect.

We won't censor your comments if we don't agree with you; we want viewpoints from across the political spectrum. We're dedicated to sparking an open, active discussion. We believe people with differing opinions can spark debate and effect change.

Comments are open to registered users of TucsonSentinel.com.

Keep in mind:

• A conversation involves sharing and respect. Support your viewpoint with facts, not attacks.
  • Ask questions. Search out answers.
  • Remember that being part of a community requires tolerance for differing views.
  • We can't ensure that all comments are based in truth. The only comments we endorse are those we write ourselves.

TucsonSentinel.com does not allow:

• Hate speech. Blatantly racist, sexist or homophobic slurs or calls for violence against a particular type of person, etc. will be removed.
  • Obscenity & excessive cursing. Sometimes a well-placed curse word - if you're creative enough to get it past our auto-censor - can express your point in just the right way. But we say '%*$& no' to cursing for cursing's sake. And lose the explicit sexually-descriptive language. It doesn't contribute to the debate and there are plenty of other places on the Internet to find it.
  • Flaming. During a heated discussion, unkind words may be spoken. We can live with a certain amount of rudeness in the name of provocative conversation, but a pattern of personal attacks (name-calling, mocking, or baiting) is not acceptable nor are threatening or harassing comments. Show some respect, please.
  • Explicit political endorsements. As a nonprofit we can't allow electioneering. Analysis and explanation of political issues and candidates are encouraged, but specific calls to vote for or against a measure or politician should be done elsewhere.
  • Spam. Solicitation of products or services isn't allowed; contact us about advertising, we'd love to talk to you. Links to off-topic sites may be deleted.
  • Copyright or IP infringement. Lengthy quotes and violations of 'Fair Use' aren't allowed. Anything you post should be your own work.
  • Overposting. Don't bore people and waste electrons with identical comments on multiple stories or repetitive comments that don't advance a conversation.
  • Trolling, sockpuppetry, and other abusive behavior. Please don't feed the trolls and don't pretend to be someone you're not.
  • Gossip. Don't bring up others who can't defend themselves. We don't give out personal information; you shouldn't either.

Comments that violate these guidelines may be removed. We reserve the right to make up the rules as we go along.

Flagging

Commentors are solely responsible for the opinions they express and the accuracy of the information they provide. Users who violate these standards may lose their privileges on TucsonSentinel.com.

Sentinel editors can't read every comment. Trolls, spammers and other troublemakers can slide under the bridge. We rely on you to help maintain a healthy conversation - more than likely, you're reading these comments before the editors.

What if you see something inappropriate? Use the 'Flag' button to send it to a moderation queue. Help us out and tell us why you're reporting it; please don't report someone just because you disagree with them. Boy who cried wolf and all that. We'll take appropriate action on violations.

We will not edit comments to alter their meaning or censor comments because of political content.

We will not remove comments solely because they are heartless, cruel, coarse, foolish or just plain wrong. Your disapproval can maintain a decent signal to noise ratio. Ultimately, however, self-policing is the best method.

Bottom line, don't be a jerk.

Sponsored by

Sign up for TucsonSentinel.com email newsletters!

Sponsored by