Now Reading
Santorum suspends campaign
nationworld

From the archive: This story is more than 10 years old.

Santorum suspends campaign

  • Rick Santorum
    Gage Skidmore/FlickrRick Santorum

Rick Santorum suspended his presidential campaign Tuesday. He announced his withdrawal from the race at an event in Gettysburg, Pa.

A source told CNN that Santorum had already informed GOP front-runner Mitt Romney of his decision earlier Tuesday.

"We made a decision over the weekend while this presidential race is over for me and we will suspend our campaign effective today, we are not done fighting," Santorum said.

Santorum's withdrawal from the race all but hands Romney the Republican nomination, even though the former Massachusetts governor only has 60 percent of the delegates required to secure the nomination. Although Santorum is second in the delegate race, he would have needed to win upwards of three-fourths of the remaining delegates in order to secure the nomination, according to The Washington Post.

The former senator of Pensylvannia has had a rough week. Not only did he lose contests in Maryland, Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia, but his 3-year-old daughter, Bella, was hospitalized with pneumonia for a second time this year.

However, Santorum plans to "stay involved and stay active in the next couple of months," another source told CNN. Santorum told the audience:

"We were winning in a very different way. We were touching hearts, we were raising issues that many people didn't want raised."

Additionally, by suspending his campaign instead of terminating it, Santorum can also continue to raise funds.

This article originally appeared on GlobalPost.

— 30 —

Best in Internet Exploder