nationworld

Comments on #Occupy

Just how much can the state restrict a peaceful protest?

If the First Amendment guarantees the right to peaceable assembly, why do peaceful protesters keep getting arrested — and sometimes pepper-sprayed and beaten up? We take a closer look at the laws governing protests and how the government can limit them.

Oct 17, 2011, 11:54 am

I’m sure there are local maximum occupancy restrictions enforcible by the fire department,  just like in bars, including littering.  The owners can be fined and the property can be condemmed if it is a threat to public safety after appropriate warnings.  I’m sure the peacable assembly clause does not include overnight siege, so anyone staying on the property overnight should need to have written permission from the owners, just like a lease.  If they start buiding a wooden horse they should be evicted from the cities.

Oct 17, 2011, 1:44 pm

Their right to make asses out of themselves ends with my right to live my life. I don’t care if these bums want to protest over nothing, but when they start getting in the way of me driving home or walking where I need to go…then I have a problem and I expect something to be done.

I could come a lot closer to sympathizing with their cause…if they would find a way to clearly articulate what the hell that is.

Oct 17, 2011, 10:37 pm

Bret, if you’d read some other news sources, you’d see the protest is mainly about corporate greed but is really about how the whole system is broken.  I think Danny Glover put it well earlier today:

“Young and old, young and old, it’s not only taking back our democracy. We have to remake it. We have to transform it. We have to build something better than that. That’s what we have to do. It’s let us down. It’s failed us. It’s failed us in our homes. It’s failed us in our communities. It’s failed us state by state. But it’s also failed this fragile planet we live on, this fragile Mother Earth, which nourishes us. It’s failed us, too. We are on the basis of—we’re on the basis, right on the precipice of ecological collapse. And yet, it goes on. It talks about growth and development and growth and growth and making more money, transforming the commonplace into private property and private wealth. It keeps doing that. But we have to change that. And we have to be here tomorrow, the next day, the day after tomorrow and the tomorrows after tomorrow, and not only to change it, but to ensure that its transformation is institutionalized. Just as the transformation into a country controlled by corporations has been institutionalized, we have to take it back and transform it into one that is for the people, by the people, that works on behalf of the people, and works on behalf of the planet.”

Oct 18, 2011, 9:03 am

Scar, you make my point for me…all they’re doing is complaining. They’re not offering any alternatives. For any cause to be successful, it needs to things this “Occupy” thing is lacking…clearly identified objectives. Where do you want to go? How are you going to get there? They’ve done a very half-assed job with the first, and they haven’t even touched the second as far as I can see.

I’m forced to wonder how many of these people angry with Wall Street voted to reelect Congresspeople who voted to bail out Wall Street back in ‘08 and ‘09…you know, like Giffords and Grijalva.
I’m wondering how many of them buy foreign-made products when there are American-made products available…like cars for example.
I wonder how many of them shop at Wal-Mart.
I wonder how many of them bought a computer without bothering to research if they called for support for that computer what country their call would be routed to.
Economic imbalance? I’m wondering how many of these people are bitching about problems that they themselves helped to create.

Oct 18, 2011, 9:14 am

Yes, all the things you mention are an unavoidable part of current life.  I think what we’re seeing is a re-inventing of our democracy from the grass roots.

Oct 18, 2011, 9:22 am

@scar

Unavoidable? Are you kidding me? Wow…if that’s what you think, you definitely are part of the problem that you’re complaining about!

Oct 18, 2011, 9:30 am

No.  As i said these people are not the cause.  The main cause is corporate greed and a system that supports that.  Show me a voting system that is transparent where the public can verify: who can vote, who did vote, chain of custody, and the count.  Show me an American car with no foreign parts in it.  Show me how a poor person can survive without using Wal-mart.  Currently impossible.

Oct 18, 2011, 1:49 pm

@scar

So, you want others to do your thinking for you, and you want others to do your work for you, too. Yeah, guys like you are definitely the root cause of the problem you complain about.

You guys are complaining of symptoms. The problems are what you see in the mirror.

Oct 18, 2011, 5:16 pm

Bret, i was asking for your answers and I’m not impressed with your assumptions about me nor what they bring to the discussion.  I’m leaving the conversation

Oct 27, 2011, 8:11 am

So, I’ll comment here…

I was watching YouTube videos about the Flea Party. I saw that Grijalva made an appearance at the Flea Party assembly (and promptly left once he saw it wasn’t catered). But, anyway, Grijalva was warmly received. Grijalva is one of the idiots who voted for corporate bailouts a couple of years ago. Isn’t that one of the things that the Flea Party is “protesting”?

Just another in the long list of examples how these idiots are making zero sense.