Sponsored by


Note: This story is more than 2 years old.

Tucson woman dies following I-19 shooting Saturday in Green Valley

A 29-year-old man and his 3-year-old daughter survived Saturday's shooting on Interstate 19 in Green Valley, but a 25-year-old woman from Tucson was pronounced dead at Banner University Medical Center.

Mateo Dina Zavala, 21, of Santa Ana, California has been booked into the Pima County Adult Detention Center on suspicion of first-degree murder, endangerment, three counts of aggravated assault and one count of drive-by shooting, according to an Arizona Department of Public Safety news release.

Update: Victim, suspect argued on phone seconds before fatal I-19 shooting

Marilynn Patricia Pacheco, who died as a result of her wounds, knew Zavala, the news release stated.

DPS Trooper Kameron Lee said authorities are not sure what precipitated the event or how Pacheco and Zavala knew each other. Zavala is being uncooperative, he said.

The other two victims, whose hometowns are unknown, were treated at UMC for gunshot wounds and released.

Arizona Department of Public Safety troopers received reports of shots being fired between two vehicles on northbound I-19 near Esperanza Boulevard around 5 p.m. Saturday.

Two witnesses told the Green Valley News that a couple not believed to be involved in the incident apparently drove the man and girl to the parking lot at the northwest corner of Esperanza and I-19. The man and girl stumbled through the door of Easy Street Lounge, which is attached to the restaurant.

Thanks for reading TucsonSentinel.com. Tell your friends to follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

One witness said it appeared the girl was shot in the leg and that the man was shot in the shoulder or neck. The man fell to the ground, witnesses said.

The couple who brought the man and girl to the parking lot were still inside the restaurant at 9 p.m. Saturday answering questions from investigators. The bar was shut down after the incident and the restaurant remained open. One of the owners arrived about 9 p.m.

Northbound I-19 traffic was stopped at Continental Road and southbound traffic was forced to exit at Duval Mine Road, and both Esperanza exits were closed. Everything reopened about 4 a.m. Sunday.

This report was first published by the Green Valley News.

- 30 -
have your say   


There are no comments on this report. Sorry, comments are closed.

Sorry, we missed your input...

You must be logged in or register to comment

Read all of TucsonSentinel.com's
coronavirus reporting here »

Click image to enlarge

Dan Shearer/Green Valley News

Sheriff's Auxiliary volunteers block the northbound entrance to Interstate 19 at Continental Road in Green Valley on Saturday.