Sponsored by

Local

Note: This story is more than 10 years old.

Monument Fire update: 92% contained

The Monument Fire is now 92 percent contained, and rain fell on much of the fire area, authorities said Wednesday morning.

"Most of the fire area is showing little to no fire activity," fire managers said. But the danger isn't over: "Any new start (is) expected to exhibit high rates of spread."

From the Incident Management Team:

Even though the fire is almost contained, residents may still notice small isolated smoke columns. These hot spots are well inside the perimeter of the fire. These smoke sightings may continue until the monsoon flow is established. There were three new fires in the area today. Some of them were caused by lightning. Even though the some of the fires were out of Monument Fire area, the Incident Management team sent personnel and equipment to help control the blazes.

***

Fire personnel will continue today to patrol the fire line and put out hotspots. Hotspots that have been identified in the Carr Canyon and Oversight Canyon Area will be worked by fire crews today. All of these hotspots are within the fire perimeter. Fire crews and Ft. Huachuca crew continue to patrol and put out hotspots within the burnout on Fort property. Brush removal and debris chipping on Garden Canyon Road to create a contingency fire break for future fires remains a priority. BAER teams are assessing burnt areas and identifying and prioritizing areas that need to be rehabilitated. These BAER teams will be in place long after the fire suppression efforts are done. Initial attack crews continue to be on alert to respond to any new fire starts that may occur in the area.

Fewer firefighters and aircraft are tasked to the blaze burning south of Sierra Vista. A "significant demob(ilization) of resources is currently in progress," fire managers said earlier this week. 417 personnel are assigned to the fire, down from about 1,300 at the beginning of last week. 2 helicopters remain tasked to the fire, authorities said.

The fire has burned 30,526 acres and destroyed or damaged 64 homes and businesses since it began June 12. No new acreage burned has been reported since the weekend.

Thanks to our donors and sponsors for their support of local independent reporting. Join Melinda Correll, Douglas Gann, and Sierra Yamanaka and contribute today!

Complete containment is not expected until mid-July, fire managers said.

- 30 -
have your say   

Comments

There are no comments on this report. Sorry, comments are closed.

Sorry, we missed your input...

You must be logged in or register to comment

Read all of TucsonSentinel.com's
coronavirus reporting here »