Memorial Day events
Free parades and ceremonies
Posted May 30, 2011
Janet Rose Jackman
Tucson and the region will honor its veterans and fallen soldiers with a parade, ceremonies, an "Honor Wall," and pool party.
- Park Place will have an "Honor Wall" on display near the Century Cinemas. Visitors can take photos at the wall and post them to www.returnthefavor.org and for each photo, General Growth Properties, which owns Park Place, will donate $1 to the Veterans of Foreign Wars Foundation through Tuesday.
- Tucson Mall shoppers can find cards at the Return the Favor display at the H&M entrance, and also can make donations the the VFW Foundation by texting "return" to 90999.
- 8 a.m. Memorial Day parade. Tucson Estates at 5900 W. Western Way Circle.
- 9 a.m. National Guard 162nd Fighter Wing F-16 flyby at East Lawn Cemetery and South Lawn Cemetery ceremonies.
- 9:15 a.m. National Guard 162nd Fighter Wing F-16 flyby at Green Valley Mortuary and Cemetery ceremony.
- 9 a.m. "Price of Freedom" ceremony at Evergreen Cemetery, 3015 N. Oracle Road. Enter from Fort Lowell Road and drive west. Free food and beverages from 10 to 11:30.
- 10 a.m. National Guard 162nd Fighter Wing F-16 flyby during ceremony at Purple Heart Park in Rita Ranch
- 10 a.m. Southern Arizona Veterans Affairs Health Care System annual ceremony at the R.E. Lindsey Jr. Auditorium in Building 4. Keynote speaker is Pam Simon from Rep. Gabrielle Gifford's staff. Use medical center entrance at Sixth Avenue and Veterans Boulevard and park in "Q" lot.
- 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Memorial Day pool party at Eastern Hills Aquatic Club, 9814 N. Evelyn Ave. Open to the community and free. Food and beverages available.
- 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. The Fountains of La Cholla ceremony, 2001 W. Rudasill Road. Ceremony In the Town Center lobby hosted by Shirley and Larry Copenhaver, taps will be played at at 3.
- 3 p.m. "A Hero's Salute"concert at University of Arizona's Crowder Hall, Fine Arts Complex at North Park Avenue and Speedway Boulevard. Free concert for Tucson veterans.