The City of Tucson will celebrate the Modern Streetcar Project on Thursday as a new phase begins in construction on the transit system that will connect the University of Arizona, Fourth Avenue, Downtown and the city's West Side.
The celebration begins at 11 at the University of Arizona's BIO5 Institute, 1657 E. Helen St., and will include information about the project and its construction, the city said.
Those attending are advised to bring a hat and sunscreen. Parking is available at the Highland Avenue Garage at Vine Street and Helen.
The $196.8 million Tucson Modern Streetcar is expected to be running by the end of 2013 with seven cars that will travel alongside motorists, making 18 stops along the route, according to the project's website.
Construction will affect traffic around the University of Arizona, Fourth Avenue, Congress Street and Broadway Boulevard.
Fourth Avenue is closed to through traffic between Sixth Street and University. Starting Tuesday, Congress will be closed from Toole Avenue to Stone and Sixth Avenue, between Broadway and Sixth Street, will be converted to two-way traffic.
- From 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., Toole Avenue will be closed between Congress and Alameda streets for road restriping.
- From 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., Sixth Avenue between Broadway and Alameda will be closed for restriping.
- Beginning Tuesday, Sixth Avenue will be converted to two-way traffic between Broadway and Sixth Street, including the underpass.
- Beginning Tuesday, a four-way stop will be in place at the intersection of Toole/Alameda/Sixth Avenue. Police will direct traffic.
- Beginning Tuesday, Congress will be closed to vehicular traffic between Toole Avenue and Stone Avenue for approximately four months.
- Toole Avenue between Congress Street and 5th Avenue will be one-way northbound.
- Motorist and cyclists traveling south on Toole must exit at Fifth Avenue. There will still be Local business access to the Historic Depot.
- There will be intermittent closures of Fifth Avenue and Sixth avenues at Congress.
- Scott Avenue will be closed at Congress. Access to businesses north and south of the intersection, as well as access to parking garages off Scott Avenue, will be maintained.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
- Fourth Avenue is closed between Sixth Street and University
- There will be travel lane restrictions on University Boulevard from Park to Bean avenues between 1 a.m. to 11 a.m. to remove the overhead conductor system. Local traffic will be maintained.
- There may be intermittent closures of Euclid Avenue at University Boulevard.
- Pedestrian access along Fourth will be maintained.
UA and Health Sciences Center
- Detours may be in place along Second Street from Park Avenue to Mountain Avenue for underground utility work.
- Second Street from Park to Olive Road will be closed.