Snowstorm closes Mt. Lemmon Highway, other roads
Due to snow and high winds, the Mt. Lemmon Highway is closed at its base to all but residents and employees with chains or four-wheel drive vehicles. One other county road was closed Wednesday morning, and caution is advised at a half-dozen others.
Also, officials at Saguaro National Park announced that Cactus Forest Loop Drive in the Rincon Mountain District (East) is closed due to snowy conditions.
Here's the list from the Pima County Department of Transportation:
- Mt. Lemmon Highway (General Hitchcock Highway) at the base. Open only to residents and employees.
- Redington Road at milepost 3
- Silverbell Road between Avra Valley and Sasco roads
- Madera Canyon Road at Whitehouse Canyon Road/Box Canyon Road
- Gates Pass Road at Via Roma
- Snyder Hill Road between Sandario Road and the end of pavement
- Pump Station Road between Avra Valley Road and El Tiro Road
- Snyder Road between Sabino Canyon Road and Kolb Road at Ventana Wash
- Snyder Road at the Ventana Wash between Kolb Road and Sabino Canyon Road
- Wilds Road at the Canada Del Oro Wash in Catalina
- Hawser Street east of Twin Lakes Drive in Catalina
- Lago Del Oro Parkway between Golder Ranch Drive and Rail N Road
- Snyder Hill Road at end of pavement to Sandario Road
- Redington Road between MP26 and MP28
- Kinney Road south of the Tucson Monument entrance
- Silverbell Road from end of pavement to Sasco Road