4 cited at Occupy Tucson overnight

Tucson police cited 4 Occupy Tucson demonstrators for remaining in a downtown park after closing time overnight, a department spokeswoman said. There have been over 580 arrests since the protest began Oct. 15.

Nov 16, 2011, 7:08 pm

I bet the flea party stinks something fierce. Where are these people pooping? Where are they showering? Where are they shaving? (Well, the men. We all know women of this ilk don’t shave).

Nov 16, 2011, 9:52 pm

They have several porta-potty’s and food service area has passed health inspection (with compliments). Why don’t you show up and educate yourself?

Nov 16, 2011, 10:08 pm

I’ve been tempted to show up just for curiousity’s sake, but I aint drinking your kool-aid. You blame the wrong people…

Nov 16, 2011, 10:12 pm

It’s not about blaming anyone. It’s frustrations with the current system that’s broken. That’s why “demands” haven’t been made.

Nov 17, 2011, 6:19 am

@aikanae

Not blaming anyone? IF you’re saying things are broken, how in the world do you expect anyone to fix it if you’re not even going to hold anyone accountable for what you say is broken?

And you wonder why guys like me can’t take your movement seriously…

Nov 17, 2011, 1:52 pm

The idea is not to produce more patches and bandaids rather than addressing real problems at the root. That takes more than being reactionary. I think everyone agrees that corporations are not people and they have too much influence in politics. The first step is waking people up to DO something.

Nov 17, 2011, 3:18 pm

I will wholeheartedly agree that corporations are not people. However, you’re placing the blame in the wrong place. If I pay you to punch someone in the face, and you do it, is that on you or on me? I don’t blame corporate interests for making politicians corrupt, I blame politicians for making politicians corrupt.

The first step is waking people up to DO something.

Yes, I like this quote, and have thought it myself for some time. If we can wake enough people up to start spending their money responsibly, and more importantly to start voting responsibly, things will start to get better around here.

Questions with this is: how? If a large percentage of individuals haven’t cared about their community enough to do these things before, what makes us think they’re capable of starting?

Basically, as long as people keep shopping at Walmart, keep buying foreign cars, keep calling backward countries for tech support, keep hiring border jumpers, and keep blindly voting party line or skin color…things will not only not get better, they’re going to get much worse with each passing year.

I think the right question to ask is how do we wake people up? How do we make them care enough about their community to start educating themselves to the damage their dollars and votes can do?

I don’t know the answer to that one…

Nov 17, 2011, 6:58 pm

Removing personhood from corporations would go a long way in removing their influence, “free speech” from politics. I’m not blaming or punching anyone.

This movement is not anti-capitalist or anti-government. But what we have now is not working.

It’s a work in progress that’s why the movement needs to stay very open and inclusive to let all voices be heard. That’s why there is a reluctance to start getting into making “demands”.

Do you feel heard at the local - state - regional or national level? That’s a problem. >40% of the population is involved in voting. I participated in a voter drive during the 2008 election. The #1 reason people didn’t vote was “it didn’t matter”.

The Occupy movement has already changed the debate within a couple of months. There is a chance of being heard and that is hope.

These encampments are not a risk to health or safety. They are not populated by “bums”. The unemployment rate mirrors the regional ones. They are strikenly ordinary people. They are bending over backwards to be peaceful, safe, clean and respectful - the golden rule. Most are people who did everything “right” and still got shafted in one way or another, or just tired of not being represented by who they elected.

But that’s something you’d have to see for yourself.

I was disillusioned and watching this movement gain steam gave me some hope again. Just protesting is too easily ignored. No one paid attention until they begain occuping. I didn’t realize it but there’s a history of camping out as a form of protest. Have we lost that right now too?

Nov 17, 2011, 7:02 pm

I ment to say < 40% vote (actually it’s more like 20% to 30%).

Nov 17, 2011, 7:10 pm

p.s. There is a film on YouTube called “Robert Newman’s History of Oil” that’s about 20 min long (or google it). He’s a british comedian so it’s not too painful to watch. The last third of the film he talks about individual action - which was the first time I’d heard the term used as a form of orgainizing. But that is the way of the future and how Occupy came into being.

The idea is to have leaderless movements and I agree with him now that’s what it takes for success. It’s almost like mesh networks and bit torrent in that it makes it nearly impossible to squash.