Prescott radio host fired over school mural flap

School reverses decision to lighten students' faces

A Prescott radio host embroiled in a controversy over an elementary school environmental mural is off the air, while the school reversed a decision to lighten the faces of students depicted in the mural.

Jun 5, 2010, 12:04 pm

The late Governor George Wallace’s mother was speaking of her family’s relationships with African-Americans. “Those folks love us and we love them. There is nothing we won’t do for them. If they want something all they have to do is come to our door and ask. We get it for them.’

Jun 5, 2010, 12:32 pm

I should probably be the poster child for Prescottonians who do not agree with this mural.  I have grown up in Prescott, I went to Miller Valley School, I am a history major who can’t stand desecrating historical buildings, I think people who move here should become part of our community not try to change it to be like where they came from, and I drive past the mural every day.  When they started to paint, I was thrilled!  The Mural Mice have painted several fantastic murals all over Prescott but they have all been hidden!  You have to actively seek them out.  This mural is beautiful and it accentuates that there is a wonderful diverse population in Prescott.  Steve Blair is quoted in the Daily Courier as saying,“I don’t see anything that ties the community into that mural.” What about the fact that there are more than one race making Prescott their home?  That child painted in the center of the mural could be of Hispanic, Yavapai Apache, or even Italian descent. Which one is not considered appropriate to be a representative of the Prescott community?  Blair can’t stand the word diversity?  Get over it! Diversity is a large part of what makes Prescott and any other community wonderful.  I’m proud to raise my children in a diversified Prescott!!! Also, if one feels the need to preface a comment by stating that they are not a racist, it is an excellent indicator that they most definitely are exactly that!

Jun 5, 2010, 1:11 pm

“I’m going to be the afternoon ‘water my garden’ guy.”

The Archie Bunker of Prescott ...

Blair over fence to neighbor: Grumble, grumble, racist vitriol, grumble ...

Neighbor: Umm-hmmm. Well, Steve, I’ve got to get goin’. Good luck with those thorns you’re growin’.

Jun 5, 2010, 1:41 pm

Looks the school has apologized and will go back to the original mural. See a video of school officials speaking at a rally in Prescott, AZ:

Jun 5, 2010, 2:34 pm

@Carol

Thank you for bringing the video to our attention, Carol. We’ve updated the story with that info.

Jun 5, 2010, 2:58 pm

I filmed the “apology” video that you’ve provided above, and I’ll be uploading more video from today’s protest on the same YouTube channel here:

Here’s the direct link to the apology video (which is not showing up on the main YouTube channel for some reason):

Thanks for sharing the good news!

Jun 5, 2010, 3:01 pm

@MosesSiregarIII

Thanks for the link, Moses. And for being our eyes and ears today.

Jun 5, 2010, 3:22 pm

Archie Bunker: If your spics and your spades want their rightful share of the American dream, let ‘em get out there and hustle for it like I done.
Mike Stivic: So now you’re going to tell me the black man has just as must chance as the white man to get a job?

Archie Bunker: More, he has more… I didn’t have no million people marchin’ and protestin’ to get me my job.

Edith Bunker: No, his uncle got it for him.

Jun 7, 2010, 8:25 am

I am so sick of hearing “I’m not racist, but…” because it ALWAYS leads to some really racist thoughts. If you really aren’t racist, you should omit that phrase from your dictionary forever. >_>