Flake, Giffords part ways on background check bill

Slain aide Zimmerman honored with room dedication

Minutes after he shared a stage with former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Tuesday, Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., said he still plans to oppose a bill supported by Giffords that calls for expanded background checks for gun buyers. The pair appeared together as Vice President Biden helped dedicate a room in the Capitol Visitor Center for slain aide Gabe Zimmerman.

Read the full story »

Comments are temporarily disabled on TucsonSentinel.com while we upgrade our system.

Apr 17, 2013, 10:23 am

Who the hell cares what Kelly has to say? How many times does he have to prove himself a scumbag for it to stick with some people? He should just go back to buying the AR-15’s that he says should be illegal and return to the background where his proper place has been all along.

Props to Senator Flake for starting to think this through rather then get caught up in the hysteria-based knee-jerk reactions. Background checks are all well and good, but there is such a thing as going too far with it.

Apr 17, 2013, 11:52 am

Gun control after every tragedy is shamelessly paraded around as a solution, “we need more laws” the unthinking chant in unison led in that chant by the Democrats pushing more gun laws instead of solutions! Well in the same spirit let’s talk pressure cookers. Why does anyone need a pressure cooker? Pressure cookers kill, that’s a fact, and they are dangerous. Who needs a pressure cooker? Pressure cookers were used by Grandmothers of another generation to make that inedible cut of meat bought at the local butcher from God knows what animal called beef of course and make it tender! We don’t have that problem anymore folks, our cattle are corn fed and tender! We need to pass laws making it illegal for these cagy Grandmothers who might see an opportunity to cash in and sell their existing cookers to criminals. Passing a pressure cooker on from one generation to the next needs to be a crime a person obviously needs a background check before they can own a pressure cooker. Why does a pressure cooker have to be so big? We can limit their size and save American babies, right? Who but the looniest among us could be against making babies safe, banning pressure cookers and/or regulating the amount of food they can hold (cause we know they are not really being used for cooking) and then and only then can we rest at night knowing our American children are safe!

Please join me in banning or heavily regulating unneeded devices of death that pressure cookers are!

Bill says: Can any Democrat tell me why the perpetrator(s) of the Boston bombing should not get the death penalty or be interrogated with enhanced techniques?

The lunacy of the Left is killing us!

Apr 17, 2013, 11:54 am

Bill says: After listening to Chris Matthews and the other leftwing nuts speculate that the Boston bomber was a radical White rightwing male group, it will be interesting what actually the case is, my guess is if the bomber has a little pigment in his skin they will MOVE ON to another story real quick!

Apr 17, 2013, 8:25 pm

@Bret Linden,

Rather than flinging names about, why not try to point to substantive policy disagreements you might have - and explain why your approach is better? The former approach is tiresome and unproductive.

Apr 17, 2013, 8:56 pm

@Dylan Smith

Just because these stories get repetitive doesn’t mean I have to. I have made my positions clear in past comments. Kelly is a hypocrite, he has proven that to any reasonable-thinking person, and if the anti-gun lobby had any brains whatsoever they would do whatever they could to distance themselves from him.

Apr 17, 2013, 9:13 pm

After a few minutes of thinking Dylan, I’ll grant your request to state what I think we should do instead…

What I am opposed to is closing what’s referred to as the “gun show and private party loophole” in its current form. If I own a gun (which I don’t), and I’m not a dealer or anything like that, then I should have the right to sell that gun to whomever I please for however much I please. Requiring a background check for private citizens transacting with one another is unnecessarily inconvenient. It would make it either impossible, or make the seller and/or buyer have to throw even more money at a dealer to do the background check, which in my mind is pretty much an additional tax, one so expensive that it would hinder any proposed sale itself.

What I propose instead is to throw out the idiot thinking that public records are somehow not public, and make it easier for John Q. Public to check someone’s background in this context. If we can have an easily-accessed sex offender registry, then we can certainly put together an equally easily-accessed can’t-buy-a-gun registry. I have to believe that such a thing wouldn’t be that difficult or expensive to put together, and wouldn’t infringe on anyone’s rights any more then they already have been.

There, Dylan, my “substantive policy disagreement” and why my approach is better…again. Satisfied now? Good. Now I can go back to pointing out Mark Kelly’s blatant hypocrisy and his shameful and disgusting exploiting of his wife’s tragedy.