Comments on Pima Community College

Pima picks community college vet as interim replacement CEO

MIssouri's Zelema Harris tapped for temp chancellor

Pima Community College on Tuesday announced the hiring of a retired Missouri community college head as an interim leader for the embattled school Tuesday evening. The Governing Board voted unanimously to hire Zelema Harris as a temporary replacement for interim Chancellor Suzanne Miles.

Apr 2, 2013, 11:19 am

Any speculation as to who will be interim? Surely that info will leak out before tonight.

Apr 2, 2013, 11:24 am

@EllieMae

The candidates for the temporary post are all from outside the college, and were vetted by the Association of Community College Trustees, who are also checking the backgrounds of applicants for the permanent post. The interim post will likely be filled by a retired community college leader from outside Tucson.

Apr 2, 2013, 2:15 pm

she had said that she would return to serve as provost after a permanent head of the college was hired.

Isn’t this a bit presumptuous on her part? The new Chancellor picks the Provost (with board approval)...or have things changed since I left?

Apr 2, 2013, 2:35 pm

@Bret Linden

At that point, Miles had already been appointed as the provost. Since, she’s switched her non-interim position to be president of the Community Campus, and a new provost has been appointed.

Apr 2, 2013, 2:42 pm

Oh, yeah, the new Provost, I forgot about Dr. Jerry Migler.

Meh, all I can tell you is that, when I was there, no one really knew what the provost was supposed to do. No disrespect to Dr. Migler since I don’t know the guy, but from the bottom looking up it looked to be an unnecessary position…and there were a few of those. Executive Assistant to the Campus President is another (I think that position might be gone now, but I’m not sure).

There were widespread and rampant rumors about what Dr. Miles’ true duties were as provost, but I’ll keep those to myself. Anyone who worked in PCC knows what I’m talking about…it was the worst-kept secret there.

Apr 3, 2013, 12:34 am

Wow, well, I am pleased that I was wrong. I was certain that Fugett or some other flavor of Miles would be put in. This move shows me that maybe PCC is indeed serious about cleaning up their own house.

To Chancellor Harris I wish the best of luck. She’s gonna need it.