Comments on Pima Community College

Pima issues 'mea culpa' after HLC report; faculty call for resignations

Faculty call on Board to resign; Admission standards suspended

Pima Community College officials responded Friday to an accrediting body's recommendation that the school be placed on probation, acknowledging "serious breaches of integrity" and outlining a plan to improve the school's administration. The Faculty Senate called on PCC's Board to resign.

Mar 29, 2013, 4:24 pm

Please start the recall process soon, Mr. Labuda.

Mar 29, 2013, 4:26 pm

I have an immediate concern about this fiasco.  If my kid takes a summer school class at Pima to apply toward a U of A degree, and Pima loses its accreditation, can U of A use that as a reason to deny accepting that summer school credit next year?  Or even three years from now when the kid is getting ready to graduate?????

GRRRRR….this is horrible, for everyone affected.

Mar 29, 2013, 4:28 pm

The college said it will “make whole” the eight women who alleged they were sexually harassed by former Chancellor Roy Flores.

What about the rest of us? These weren’t the only eight people abused at PCC.

I may not have been sexually harassed, but I was subject to many negativity that fall well outside the scope of everyday workplace bullshit. I was verbally abused, harassed, demeaned, ostracized, berated, subjected to a different set of rules as others, subjected to abuses of the disciplinary system, denied opportunities to interview for promotions, denied the opportunity to laterally transfer to an identical position at another campus, none of which I deserved.

And, to add to all of this, every time I took my concerns to someone in authority and/or HR, I was either ignored or blown off. I can still prove that.

For three of the four years I worked at PCC I hated going to work. I hated being at work. And, when I wasn’t at work, my thoughts were dominated by my dreading returning to work. My life was severely disrupted unnecessarily because of the toxic environment at PCC that those in authority refused to fix.

How about making me whole again?

I’m not unique. Several people at PCC were subjected to the same sort of abuses I was. How about making them whole again?

So, you’re going to do something for the eight harassed women. While that’s great and all, what about the rest of us?

Mar 29, 2013, 8:34 pm

Hello @TucsonGirl,

No. The complaints are focused on the Administration side of the college. There are almost no problems on the Academic side which is a great thing. Your son or daughter’s classes will transfer with no problem.

Conversation between Pima and UA have already taken place and if the College goes on probation, UA will still accept Pima’s courses for transfer.

Again, This is an Administration issue. The Academic side has maintained it’s standards and many in the academic community around the State know this. I am positive that this situation will get fixed and the Colleges standards will only strengthen from here.

I totally understand your concern and encourage you to make this known to others in the community who have questions about this unfortunate situation.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Mar 30, 2013, 7:35 am

Employee…thanks for the response.  I am going to make sure my kid talks to a UA counselor to get that guarantee on UA’s end..again, so sorry the great teachers and staff at Pima are going through this….

Mar 30, 2013, 7:26 pm

TucsonGirl reported:

Don’t count on UA. My spouse got an AA degree in 2002 with the intention to transfer to UA and get an education degree with the intention of TEACHING high school science and math. UA put up so many road blocks—oh, you took that algebra class one semester too long ago—that he decided not to bother and stayed in construction. Caveat Emptor, when it comes to the UA.

Read more about