Comments on Health care reform

Giffords will vote for health insurance reform bill

Bill would send Senate plan to president's desk

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords will vote for the health insurance reform bill, the congresswoman announced Saturday.

Mar 20, 2010, 6:51 pm

All I can say is, finally.

Mar 20, 2010, 6:58 pm

Amen.

Mar 20, 2010, 9:12 pm

Go Gabby go…

Mar 21, 2010, 7:06 am

Thank you!

Mar 21, 2010, 9:10 am

The Repubs are deeply, deeply disappointed that Gifford is not living up to the Repub campaign promises.
They are so angry that they vow to vote against her, just as they did the last two times :)

Mar 21, 2010, 12:23 pm

Why would the Republicans ever vote for Giffords? It’s silly if she ever thought she could get their vote. A waste of time.

Mar 21, 2010, 12:40 pm

folklorica wrote:

The Republicans have an edge in registered voters in CD8. Couple that with the 25% who are registered independents, and playing to the center is important to Giffords.

Mar 21, 2010, 1:01 pm

OK, I see the logic in playing to the center. However, even as a “blue dog” Dem, did/does Giffords really think that she could/can, to steal a phrase, cut her cloth to fit Arizona Republicans’ extreme fashions? It’s a losing endgame, unless she’s really not who she purports to be—and though I am not her strongest supporter I do believe that she has her heart in the right place.

Mar 21, 2010, 1:13 pm

@folklorica

All Arizona Republicans are not cut from the same cloth. Giffords’ has strong credentials w/ the military, owns guns and shoots them, and if anyone can ground between Dems and Repubs, she would be the one. Also, and importantly, not all Dems are cut from the same cloth.

Disclosure: I’m a registered Dem and sometime precinct committee person. That’s not necessarily a good predictor of my position on lots of things.

Mar 21, 2010, 1:18 pm

Yup, no debate there. And those are some of the reasons why I am not her strongest supporter.

For quite some time I have been trying to understand her strategy of playing to the “center” (which, in many ways, has become right-of-center) which, to me, leaves herself wide open to further disappointing the people who did vote her into office (including me) and giving more ammunition to Republicans who she will never be able to satisfy. I truly don’t get it and I fear she has endangered her seat.

Mar 21, 2010, 1:20 pm

Glad she’s voting for it. There’s been a lot of obfuscation, much of it deliberate by opponents, so that few people know what the bill will do.

Given the gridlock that’s the result of each party focusing on preventing the other from having any success rather than trying to solve problems, our best option is to pass it, then fix the flaws. The status quo is intolerable.

As to the gridlock problem, campaign finance reform is desperately needed, but the Big Money will never let that happen. Another choice is a viable third party, and I am hoping the Modern Whig Party can grow into that role.