GOP's Santorum to make Tucson stop

Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum will speak at a Tucson Tea Party event in Tucson next Wednesday, before a GOP debate in Mesa.

Feb 15, 2012, 12:19 pm

I hope the women of Tucson attend en masse to protest Santorum’s stand on birth control, and sexuality. Tell him to keep his hands off the Rights of Women to determine our own bodily functions.

Feb 16, 2012, 8:36 am

Santorum doesn’t want to control what we do to our bodies. He just doesn’t want to pay for it!

Feb 16, 2012, 9:53 am

No, he wants to control it.  He wants to make our discussions about family and health his business and he wants to make certain options illegal.  That means putting in place enforcement, which costs money.  He’s a liberal with OPM as long as he can use it to further his narrow views of morality.

Feb 16, 2012, 10:39 am

@janamg Please cite an example of how Rick Santorum wants to make “certain options illegal”. I stand by my statement. He doesn’t want to interfere with my choice to use/purchase birth control, he is fighting for my right to not be forced to pay for someone else’s. The distinction should be made. I am a woman who also does not want to be forced to pay for others’ abortions but I am not going to stand in the way. women can pay for our own choices.

Feb 16, 2012, 2:08 pm

Santorum has said that he does not agree with abortion for any reason, that a pregnancy caused by rape and/or incest should be viewed be a gift, that he does not agree with contraception since sexual congress is meant to be for the act of procreation.

Rather than being a serious nominee for election in 2012, I think he needs to be beamed up and back to 1812.

Feb 16, 2012, 2:17 pm

For the record, I’m a lifelong social and fiscal conservative. Why not consider Mitt Romney? He has no financial interest in politics. He is highly educated and is the most qualified leader of all the candidates. The same can not be said for Rick. His candidacy is simply a career move. He will continue to hang around DC after he loses and will keep cashing in as a lobbyist. He says he supports the Made in America theme, yet he bought a 2008 Audi A6. He said that medical malpractice lawsuits should be capped at $250k, yet his wife recently sued her chiropractor for $500k. Last, but not least, why is the Tucson Tea Party hosting someone that doesn’t agree with them? Rick said the following: “I’ve got some real concerns about this movement within the Republican Party and the Tea Party movement to sort of refashion conservatism and I will vocally and publicly oppose it.”