Occupy Tucson sets up camp at DeAnza Park

Protesters next to, but not in park overnight

Occupy Tucson members set up tents at DeAnza Park, just north of downtown, Thursday night. Tucson now has the longest-running uninterrupted anti-corporate protest in the nation, an organizer said.

Feb 3, 2012, 9:13 am

Tucson now has the longest-running uninterrupted anti-corporate protest in the nation, organizer Dave Croteau said.

I’m not sure about the “uninterrupted” part. Weren’t they interrupted when TPD finally did the right thing and booted them from downtown? I drove by a few times after that…there was no more presence then the usual collection of bums that hang around that park.

But, the flea party they will say anything, no matter how untrue it might be, to further their cause…whatever the hell that is.

Feb 3, 2012, 10:42 am

@Bret Linden

They’ve been camping on the sidewalk along Church Avenue, rather than in Veinte de Agosto itself, since the night they were evicted there.

Feb 3, 2012, 10:45 am

@Dylan Smith

I was just downtown last week….I saw a couple sitting at the picnic table on the Church side of the park, and I saw a couple of people standing around, seemingly aimless, but that was it. No one was camping. No one had any signs. There was enough or a presence to make me look and think to myself “Oh my god these idiots are still at this…”, but once I took a closer look it was clear, at least to me, that wasn’t the case. And, this was somewhere around 4pm or 4:30.

Feb 3, 2012, 10:48 am

I just looked at the photos…image 4 shows great disrespect toward the Unites States flag. I guess that photo in itself shows us the character of these flea party idiots.

Feb 4, 2012, 6:55 pm

Tying the flag around a megaphone doesn’t seem that disrespectful.  The megaphone’s for exercising one’s First Amendment rights, no?  What better way to remind us of the greatness of the nation?  Well that’s what came to my mind.

Feb 5, 2012, 3:41 am

@scar

Obvious to me you’ve never read the following. You really should…

If you refuse to read the whole thing, at least read the section on respect. Then have your buddy with the bullhorn read it…assuming said person is even literate.

Feb 5, 2012, 9:56 am

Thanks for the code Bret, but those laws are outdated.  For example, it also says there the flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, so that means the officials of just about every football game are disrespecting the flag when they spread it out over the field.  While that may be codified it is not enforced because times have changed, so i still don’t see any disrespect.

Feb 5, 2012, 3:52 pm

Yes, the officials of just about every football game are indeed disrespecting the flag. This is not a secret code, nor is it difficult to find if one were so inclined. I was first exposed to it in the Cub Scouts. And, it has changed with the times. When I was a kid you were expected to do the triangle fold for storage, now the code states that a rectangular fold is acceptable for storage…

Just because a growing number of people are choosing to ignore the law does not make it outdated…it just means that a growing number of people are disrespectful and lazy, which is a sign of the times I suppose.