- Judge unseals photos, docs of immigration detention centers
- Tucson's hotel and utility taxes going up July 1
- Arizona man kills 2 relatives in child custody dispute
- Live weather radar
- When judges attack: Future brightens for Tucson's hybrid elections1
- Heraldgate is needlessly spinning out of control on Ally Miller2
- Deadlocked court leaves thousands of immigrants in limbo 2
- Update: 2 hikers die, 1 missing, on Tucson trails as temps spike to 115-plus2
- Ex-Ally Miller staffer 'confesses' he was behind bizarre blog2
- Giffords calls for civility in this ‘very negative’ campaign season2
Posted Oct 28, 2013, 1:02 pm
The Pima Community College cross country teams competed in the NJCAA Region I Championships at El Rio Golf Course on Monday. The Aztec women took home some hardware, with three runners finishing in the top 10 to help the team's cause.
For the Aztec women, Nikki Regalado (Cienega HS) was the top finisher, and a runner-up in a five-kilometer race that consisted of 34 runners. Regalado finished with a time of 19 minutes, 17.1 seconds. Billie Jo Dytrt from Paradise Valley CC took first place at 18:47.2. Sarrah Boughan (Canyon del Oro HS) finished the race in fourth place with a time of 19:43.7. Regalado and Boughan were named First-Team All-Region.
Shanice Alchesay (Alchesay HS) crossed the finish line in 10th place and was named Second-Team All-Region. Col’Bi Nez (Alchesay HS) and Jessey Tenorio (Marcos de Niza HS) went 12th and 14th respectively and were named All-Region Honorable Mention.
“We had a chance to run on this course last week to make it our home court advantage and I could see some fire I hadn’t seen before,” Pima coach Greg Wenneborg said. “It’s coming together at right time. I’m proud of whole team.”
“Nikki overcame injury and she’s back in the game. Sarrah has become huge and a consistent performer for us,” Wenneborg said. “Shanice was one of the ones in the workout where I could see the grit and she was really focused on doing well. Our big surprise was Jessey. She ran at No. 5 and we told her to go do it. She executed perfectly.”
The men’s cross country team finished in fifth place. In the eight-kilometer race, Jose Rojas (Rio Rico HS) was the top finisher for the Aztecs finishing in 14th place out of 32 runners with a time of 26:57.9. Lucas Ruiz (Flowing Wells HS) was right behind him, taking 15th with a time of 27:02.8. Rojas and Ruiz earned All-Region Honorable Mention.
“Our men’s team had been struggling but they’re coming along and working hard everyday,” Wenneborg said.
The Aztecs will conclude the season in the NJCAA National Championships on Nov. 9 at Iowa Central College in Fort Dodge, Iowa.