- Live weather radar
- Police & fire scanners
- Varney to retire as Metro Chamber chief
- Lawsuit claims CBP officer sexually molested Guatemalan woman and 17-year-old sister
- TUSD's Morado, Jaeger are finalists for Amphi sup't post
- A note to UA's new president: In my day, we didn't have 'safe places'7
- Arizona voting rights advocates see little change, but hope for future3
- Lawyer: BP 'lost or destroyed' original video of Nogales cross-border shooting1
- Shafer withdraws as candidate for TUSD interim sup't1
- TUSD set to hire interim leaders after apparent open meeting law violation1
Posted Mar 15, 2017, 8:34 pm
The Pima Community College baseball team (13-16, 5-13 in ACCAC) picked up a huge ACCAC conference win on Wednesday at the West Campus field.
The Aztecs upset No. 5 Mesa Community College 7-3 in a single make-up game from Feb. 18. The Aztecs lost to the Thunderbirds in the first game 8-5 last month.
Sophomores Miguel Figueroa (Tucson HS), Erick Migueles (Canyon del Oro HS) and Manny Ramirez (Bisbee HS) came up with big contributions.
The Aztecs scored three runs in each the first and second innings to take a commanding lead. Migueles hit a two-run RBI double to score sophomore Anthony Felix (Canyon del Oro HS) and Oscar Larranaga (Sunnyside HS). He would score on a groundout RBI from Ramirez.
Migueles came through in the second inning when he hit an RBI single to plate sophomore Shawn Bracamontes (Sunnyside HS) to make it 4-0. Ramirez stepped up and hit a two-run RBI single of his own to bring around Felix and Larranaga.
Ramirez added one more RBI single in the sixth inning to make it 7-1 as he finished the game 2 for 4 with four RBIs. Migueles went 3 for 4 with three RBIs and a run scored. Felix was 1 for 4 with three runs and Larranaga went 2 for 5 with two runs scored.
Figueroa did work on the mound as he threw a complete game, giving up three runs (two earned) on nine hits with seven strikeouts and one walk. He is now 3-3 on the year.
The Aztecs will play a scrimmage on Thursday at Kino Veterans Memorial Stadium against the Toros de Tijuana club team at 11 a.m.