Sponsored by

As goes Billy Kovacs, so go Pima Democrats

Billy Kovacs is going to lose. Billy Kovacs is the future of the Democratic Party in Southern Arizona. Reconciling those two truisms is the biggest challenge the party faces, here, statewide and nationally because they could use some new blood. ... Read more»

Aug 7, 2018, 5:11 pm

Blake, you’re dreaming about Billy Kovacs, a cute rich kid whose mommy and daddy are paying for his campaign. For a reality check read Ann Kirkpatrick Says Economic Growth, Healthcare, Gun Safety Will Win Back Tucson’s CD2 Seat at https://goo.gl/BM3Drf

Aug 7, 2018, 5:40 pm

Larry, you seem to be misreading Blake’s column. It’s not an endorsement of Kovacs as a candidate in this race — it’s a calling out of the local Democrats for doing a lousy job at cultivating and training candidates.

Weren’t you the guy who had to run away from your full-throated endorsement of a CD 2 candidate so fast you almost flew out of your shoes? ; )

Aug 9, 2018, 12:25 am

Blake, I think your comments are mistaken. When were you last active in the Pima County Democratic Party (PCDP)?  I was the Chair of the LD 9 Democratic Committee for 5 years with my term ending after the November 2016 elections. While I served on the Party’s Executive Committee & attended various local Party functions,  I saw the PCDP cultivate a lot of young political talent, including Sierra Yamanaka, Daniel Hernandez, Morgan Abraham, to name a few As for LD leadership & organization, I’m only familiar with LD 9, but I’m amazed at the level of organization & energy we have, especially now. Suggesting the PCDP should have started cultivating someone in 2013 to run for Congress in 2018, is naive. It ignores the dramatic & unexpected changes in the political scene over the past 5 years, and the fact that the PCDP is not, thank goodness, the Democratic Party of Mayor Daley’s time when autocratic leadership was able to impose it choices on submissive Party foot soldiers. The PCDP operates in a more democratic manner where there a plenty of opportunities for young people to take an active part in developing their political skills by working on campaigns and serving in leadership positions in the various groups which make up the PCDP. I don’t believe that Billy Kovacs took that opportunity, but that’s okay. He devoted his time to his business interests which is certainly his right. However, to suggest that somehow the failure of his campaign to take off is due to a failure of the PCDP to mentor him sufficiently is mistaken. The PCDP was there. Perhaps the problem was that Billy never looked to it for help.

Aug 10, 2018, 5:57 pm

Brian, I ran Demion Clinco’s campaign in 2014 for State House and was his treasurer for his 2016 Pima Community College board campaign. I was also a 2016 Flinn-Brown Fellow at the Arizona Center for Civic Leadership. I took it upon myself to build the policy knowledge to run for office even though I was not seeking it at the time. The true problem is that we don’t have a bench of candidates ready to run for office. There is no pipeline for training, leadership development, and candidate prep to take on any level of elected office in Pima County. This is a fact, but we should learn from this mistake and start building the system up now and not sit here pointing fingers at each other.

Aug 10, 2018, 6:11 pm

Hi Larry, Here in your own words “Among the five serious candidates, Kovacs is the only one emphasizing the economy in Congressional District 2. As Bill Clinton pointed out in 1992, winning elections is about “the economy, stupid!”

“https://blogforarizona.net/billy-kovacs-5-point-plan-grow-arizonas-economy/”

Also written by you,

Btw please check my FEC filings to take account for contributions made to my campaign from my family. My dad contributed less than $250 to my campaign, My mom is around $150, my brother is at $250, and my sister is at $100. In the land of reality where I live, I have contributed every check I’ve WORKED FOR over the last 16 months from Hotel Congress into my campaign. This amount has totalled over $40,000k. If you want I’ll send you my pay stubs to prove it. If you would like to argue these points with me I would invite you to sit down for some coffee as I would be happy to enlighten you. Thanks for calling me cute though? Weird, but I’ll take the backhanded compliment.

Aug 10, 2018, 8:01 pm

Brian,
All this may be true but they have no one local ready to take the next step up the ladder. Shasta was great. Don Jorgensen was very savvy. They are stuck with the resources they have to do the job they do. And they can’t do it alone. It can’t be done at the LD level all by your lonesome. It’s gotta be integrated.
Billy’s right. They need a pipeline and it needs attention from the state and national party, especially given how important this state portends to be in the future. We may be living in the Ohio of the late 20s.
And BTW, R’s need to figure out how to do all this at the local level because one party rule is bad for everyone.
Blake

Join the conversation...

You must be logged in or register to comment

Click to enlarge

Paul Ingram/TucsonSentinel.com

Kovacs during a forum of the Democratic candidates.

Categories

news, politics & government, history, local, arizona, opinion, analysis, breaking
Sponsored by

Top Commenters

• Bret Linden: 1761
  • Dylan Smith: 534
  • Cactus Dave: 339
  • buddhaboy: 316
  • Roberto De Vido: 270
  • Brittanicus: 176
  • Quietwoman2: 172
  • EllieMae: 144
  • TucsonGirl: 116
  • janamg: 88
Sponsored by

I want to help TucsonSentinel.com offer a real news alternative!

We're committed to making quality news accessible; we'll never set up a paywall or charge for our site. But we rely on your support to bring you independent news without the spin. Use our convenient PayPal/credit card donation form below or contact us at donate@tucsonsentinel.com today.

Donate securely with PayPal

$5,000 Newshound
$2,500 Copy desk chief
$1,000 Trusted source
$500 Correspondent
$250 Stringer
$100 Cub reporter
$50 Printer's Devil
$25 Informed Source
$10 Dear Reader
Enter your own amount (below)

OR: Subscribe and stretch your donation over time

$5/mo. Printer's Devil
$10/mo. Cub Reporter
$20/mo. Stringer
$40/mo. Correspondent
Enter your own monthly amount (number only)

TucsonSentinel.com is an Arizona nonprofit organization fiscally sponsored by FCIR.org, a 501c3 charity. Your contribution is tax-deductible.

User Guidelines

Please be respectful and relevant. Thought-provoking. Or at least funny.

We want comments to advance the discussion and we need your help. Debate, disagree, yell (digitally) or laugh, but do it with respect.

We won't censor your comments if we don't agree with you; we want viewpoints from across the political spectrum. We're dedicated to sparking an open, active discussion. We believe people with differing opinions can spark debate and effect change.

Comments are open to registered users of TucsonSentinel.com.

Keep in mind:

• A conversation involves sharing and respect. Support your viewpoint with facts, not attacks.
  • Ask questions. Search out answers.
  • Remember that being part of a community requires tolerance for differing views.
  • We can't ensure that all comments are based in truth. The only comments we endorse are those we write ourselves.

TucsonSentinel.com does not allow:

• Hate speech. Blatantly racist, sexist or homophobic slurs or calls for violence against a particular type of person, etc. will be removed.
  • Obscenity & excessive cursing. Sometimes a well-placed curse word - if you're creative enough to get it past our auto-censor - can express your point in just the right way. But we say '%*$& no' to cursing for cursing's sake. And lose the explicit sexually-descriptive language. It doesn't contribute to the debate and there are plenty of other places on the Internet to find it.
  • Flaming. During a heated discussion, unkind words may be spoken. We can live with a certain amount of rudeness in the name of provocative conversation, but a pattern of personal attacks (name-calling, mocking, or baiting) is not acceptable nor are threatening or harassing comments. Show some respect, please.
  • Explicit political endorsements. As a nonprofit we can't allow electioneering. Analysis and explanation of political issues and candidates are encouraged, but specific calls to vote for or against a measure or politician should be done elsewhere.
  • Spam. Solicitation of products or services isn't allowed; contact us about advertising, we'd love to talk to you. Links to off-topic sites may be deleted.
  • Copyright or IP infringement. Lengthy quotes and violations of 'Fair Use' aren't allowed. Anything you post should be your own work.
  • Overposting. Don't bore people and waste electrons with identical comments on multiple stories or repetitive comments that don't advance a conversation.
  • Trolling, sockpuppetry, and other abusive behavior. Please don't feed the trolls and don't pretend to be someone you're not.
  • Gossip. Don't bring up others who can't defend themselves. We don't give out personal information; you shouldn't either.

Comments that violate these guidelines may be removed. We reserve the right to make up the rules as we go along.

Flagging

Commentors are solely responsible for the opinions they express and the accuracy of the information they provide. Users who violate these standards may lose their privileges on TucsonSentinel.com.

Sentinel editors can't read every comment. Trolls, spammers and other troublemakers can slide under the bridge. We rely on you to help maintain a healthy conversation - more than likely, you're reading these comments before the editors.

What if you see something inappropriate? Use the 'Flag' button to send it to a moderation queue. Help us out and tell us why you're reporting it; please don't report someone just because you disagree with them. Boy who cried wolf and all that. We'll take appropriate action on violations.

We will not edit comments to alter their meaning or censor comments because of political content.

We will not remove comments solely because they are heartless, cruel, coarse, foolish or just plain wrong. Your disapproval can maintain a decent signal to noise ratio. Ultimately, however, self-policing is the best method.

Bottom line, don't be a jerk.

Sign up for TucsonSentinel.com email newsletters!

find us on facebook