Sponsored by

My take: Don't need Fox News to tell us how to mourn

Cable news commentators, many from Fox News, have laid into Wednesday's memorial service organizers and attendees alike.You know what, Brit Hume? The satellite trucks are pulling out of town, the last medical briefing has been given, the media are moving on to the next big story. We're the ones who remain.... Read more»

Jan 14, 2011, 2:55 pm

Well said!

Jan 14, 2011, 3:43 pm

I, too, thought it was amazing, although I only watched it on TV.  I cried many times, starting from the opening invocation by Mr. Gonzales.  It was the first time I cried since last Saturday, and I needed that.  And I smiled when I heard the cheering throughout. I needed that, too.
It’s must be a sad life when you wake up each morning realizing that you have to find events or people to bash that day in order to keep your job as a TV anchor, radio news host or print reporter.

Jan 14, 2011, 4:08 pm

Well done.

Jan 14, 2011, 5:53 pm

Thank you for this commentary. Some of the friends who watched the memorial service with me were quick to say that it was “too religious.” When I reminded them that it was a memorial service, not a political rally, they were quick to apologize for their critique.  I thought that the President’s speech was just what this city needed, and it reminded me of why I voted for him.  I was feeling hopeless before the memorial, but I’m glad I watched, because the event renewed my hope that we can change things for the better.

Jan 14, 2011, 6:14 pm

Thank you Dylan for well chosen words that reflect the spirit of what occurred at the Memorial. Not only the people of Tucson but the people of our country needed to share in the spirit of Tucson coming together. Those who were not moved to tears and to hope are callous indeed.

Jan 14, 2011, 9:18 pm

Well Said Dylan.

Jan 15, 2011, 9:06 am

There has been a ton of knee-jerk criticism of the event, mostly by people who’s real motivation was to deny the president a win and who were willing to do it at Tucson’s expense.

Funny thing is, I don’t think the president was going for a win. But those on the right are feeling like their ability to foster outrage is now threatened and feeling like they need to try to do whatever they can to salvage it.

All that is to say that I don’t think the criticism is really personal. These particular complainers would criticize their mother if the criticism also tarnished Obama.

Jan 15, 2011, 10:23 am

Thank you for putting into words what has been in my thoughts. I thoroughly appreciated our Tucson wake. Many Americans just don’t get the whole “Tucson thing”. Pity. I love Tucson and the “big, small town” atmosphere with its dusty roads and funky feel. The shooting could have happened anywhere, but the response to the emergency, the rally of support and the respect for allowing people to express their grief in their way is a “Tucson thing”.

Jan 15, 2011, 10:53 am

Having read this, the first thing that comes to mind is:

Right. Farking. On.

I live in Portland, Oregon and watched…with many tears…the beautiful service. I couldn’t believe my eyes and ears as I witnessed the various talking heads yammering on. And on. And on.

Thank you for speaking my mind.

Jan 15, 2011, 6:05 pm

Sorry but the RIGHT NEEDS TO BACK PHX

Sorry, we missed your input...

You must be logged in or register to comment

Click to enlarge

Renee Bracamonte-Stewart/TucsonSentinel.com

First responders listen to President Obama's speech at the memorial service.

Categories

news, politics & government, crime & safety, faith, family/life, local, arizona, opinion, editorial, nation/world, breaking
Sponsored by

Top Commenters

• Bret Linden: 1766
  • Dylan Smith: 540
  • Cactus Dave: 339
  • buddhaboy: 316
  • Roberto De Vido: 270
  • Brittanicus: 176
  • Quietwoman2: 172
  • EllieMae: 151
  • TucsonGirl: 116
  • janamg: 88
Sponsored by

I want to help TucsonSentinel.com offer a real news alternative!

We're committed to making quality news accessible; we'll never set up a paywall or charge for our site. But we rely on your support to bring you independent news without the spin. Use our convenient PayPal/credit card donation form below or contact us at donate@tucsonsentinel.com today.

Subscribe and stretch your donation over time:

$10/mo. Printer's Devil
$15/mo. Cub Reporter
$20/mo. Stringer
$40/mo. Correspondent
$50/mo. Senior Correspondent
Enter your own monthly amount (number only)

Or give a secure one-time gift with PayPal or your credit card:

$5,000 Newshound
$2,500 Copy desk chief
$1,000 Trusted source
$500 Correspondent
$250 Stringer
$100 Cub reporter
$50 Printer's Devil
$25 Informed Source
$10 Dear Reader
Enter your own amount (below)

TucsonSentinel.com is an Arizona nonprofit organization fiscally sponsored by FCIR.org, a 501c3 charity. Your contribution is tax-deductible.

User Guidelines

Please be respectful and relevant. Thought-provoking. Or at least funny.

We want comments to advance the discussion and we need your help. Debate, disagree, yell (digitally) or laugh, but do it with respect.

We won't censor your comments if we don't agree with you; we want viewpoints from across the political spectrum. We're dedicated to sparking an open, active discussion. We believe people with differing opinions can spark debate and effect change.

Comments are open to registered users of TucsonSentinel.com.

Keep in mind:

• A conversation involves sharing and respect. Support your viewpoint with facts, not attacks.
  • Ask questions. Search out answers.
  • Remember that being part of a community requires tolerance for differing views.
  • We can't ensure that all comments are based in truth. The only comments we endorse are those we write ourselves.

TucsonSentinel.com does not allow:

• Hate speech. Blatantly racist, sexist or homophobic slurs or calls for violence against a particular type of person, etc. will be removed.
  • Obscenity & excessive cursing. Sometimes a well-placed curse word - if you're creative enough to get it past our auto-censor - can express your point in just the right way. But we say '%*$& no' to cursing for cursing's sake. And lose the explicit sexually-descriptive language. It doesn't contribute to the debate and there are plenty of other places on the Internet to find it.
  • Flaming. During a heated discussion, unkind words may be spoken. We can live with a certain amount of rudeness in the name of provocative conversation, but a pattern of personal attacks (name-calling, mocking, or baiting) is not acceptable nor are threatening or harassing comments. Show some respect, please.
  • Explicit political endorsements. As a nonprofit we can't allow electioneering. Analysis and explanation of political issues and candidates are encouraged, but specific calls to vote for or against a measure or politician should be done elsewhere.
  • Spam. Solicitation of products or services isn't allowed; contact us about advertising, we'd love to talk to you. Links to off-topic sites may be deleted.
  • Copyright or IP infringement. Lengthy quotes and violations of 'Fair Use' aren't allowed. Anything you post should be your own work.
  • Overposting. Don't bore people and waste electrons with identical comments on multiple stories or repetitive comments that don't advance a conversation.
  • Trolling, sockpuppetry, and other abusive behavior. Please don't feed the trolls and don't pretend to be someone you're not.
  • Gossip. Don't bring up others who can't defend themselves. We don't give out personal information; you shouldn't either.

Comments that violate these guidelines may be removed. We reserve the right to make up the rules as we go along.

Flagging

Commentors are solely responsible for the opinions they express and the accuracy of the information they provide. Users who violate these standards may lose their privileges on TucsonSentinel.com.

Sentinel editors can't read every comment. Trolls, spammers and other troublemakers can slide under the bridge. We rely on you to help maintain a healthy conversation - more than likely, you're reading these comments before the editors.

What if you see something inappropriate? Use the 'Flag' button to send it to a moderation queue. Help us out and tell us why you're reporting it; please don't report someone just because you disagree with them. Boy who cried wolf and all that. We'll take appropriate action on violations.

We will not edit comments to alter their meaning or censor comments because of political content.

We will not remove comments solely because they are heartless, cruel, coarse, foolish or just plain wrong. Your disapproval can maintain a decent signal to noise ratio. Ultimately, however, self-policing is the best method.

Bottom line, don't be a jerk.

Sign up for TucsonSentinel.com email newsletters!

find us on facebook