- 'I've Been to the Mountaintop' - Martin Luther King Jr.
- Watch Martin Luther King Jr.'s 'I have a dream' speech
- Police & fire scanners
- Live weather radar
- Evans nets 27 but Pima men fall short at Central Az
- Pima County schedules 5 public meetings on Monsanto 3
- Letter to business leaders: Step in on PCC's behalf3
- Sheriff's Dep't GV commander claims political payback in demotion by Napier1
- A look at 2017: The year of 'Who the Hell Knows'1
- Tucson to ask voters for half-cent sales tax increase to fund fire, cops and roads1
Posted Sep 2, 2014, 11:51 am
A two-year-old boy became Tucson's first drowning victim of the year on Monday evening, authorities said.
At about 7:45 p.m., Tucson Fire Department units went to an apartment complex in the 4200 block of East Monte Vista Drive after reports of a near drowning, a department spokesman said.
Extensive efforts were made to resuscitate the boy at the scene and at the hospital, said Captain Barret Baker, but he died at the hospital.
The child was found in a hot tub in the gated pool area of the apartment complex by an adult, Baker said. The boy was then taken to the parking lot of the complex where another adult on the scene started CPR.
When TFD medics arrived, they quickly assessed the boy and transported him to the hospital, said Baker. They reached the hospital at 7:55 p.m.
The boy was pronounced dead at the hospital after all efforts to revive him failed, Baker said.