- Police & fire scanners
- Live weather radar
- Former FC Tucson player Velazco embraces new role for Monarchs
- Pablo nets a pair as Aztec women's soccer pummels South Mountain
- Banegas has 2nd straight hat trick as Pima men's soccer flattens South Mountain
- Fight to remain silent: People often waive Miranda rights5
- What are your rights at U.S.-Mexico Border Patrol checkpoints?3
- As insurers leave Arizona, Obamacare consumers face higher costs this fall2
- Win tickets to 'West Side Story' at the Loft1
- Foster care children aging out of Arizona system need transitional help1
Posted Sep 2, 2014, 11:51 am
A two-year-old boy became Tucson's first drowning victim of the year on Monday evening, authorities said.
At about 7:45 p.m., Tucson Fire Department units went to an apartment complex in the 4200 block of East Monte Vista Drive after reports of a near drowning, a department spokesman said.
Extensive efforts were made to resuscitate the boy at the scene and at the hospital, said Captain Barret Baker, but he died at the hospital.
The child was found in a hot tub in the gated pool area of the apartment complex by an adult, Baker said. The boy was then taken to the parking lot of the complex where another adult on the scene started CPR.
When TFD medics arrived, they quickly assessed the boy and transported him to the hospital, said Baker. They reached the hospital at 7:55 p.m.
The boy was pronounced dead at the hospital after all efforts to revive him failed, Baker said.