- Friday is deadline to request mail-in ballot 1
- Trump, Clinton to campaign again in Arizona
- Back for more: After loss to McCain, Ward eyes 2018 bid vs. Flake
- Banegas nets game-winner as Pima men roll into regional title game
- Donald Trump Jr. rallies Arizona voters to Republican cause
- Sunshine Mile born to die for progress3
- PCSD's Chief Deputy Radtke indicted for RICO funds misuse3
- McCain: 'I will not vote for Donald Trump'; McSally mum on endorsement3
- Lawmakers question credentials of new Phoenix VA director3
- Back in the saddle: John C. Scott to return to Tucson airwaves, again2
Posted Aug 12, 2012, 12:09 pm
Former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and her husband have purchased a home in Midtown Tucson, and are moving there from Houston, where she's been undergoing rehabilitation.
The Arizona Daily Star reported earlier in the day that Giffords and retired astronaut Mark Kelly will take up residence in Tucson on Sunday.
Absent from the Star report was any info on the home.
Located on a curving street in the high-end El Encanto neighborhood, the new Giffords/Kelly abode is a rambling adobe ranch house with a tile roof and a pool.
The 10-room, 4,500-square-foot home was purchased in June for $1,495,000, Pima County records show. The home's last sale was for $750,000 in 2007.
Giffords has occasionally visited Tucson over the past 18 months, sometimes staying at her Midtown condo, but has spent most of her time at Kelly's Houston-area home as she recovered from being shot in a Jan. 8, 2011, assassination attempt.
Giffords has repeatedly expressed a wish to again live full-time in Tucson.
"Moving back to Tucson today. Gabby has been waiting for this day for a long time," Kelly tweeted Sunday morning.
Support TucsonSentinel.com today, because a smarter Tucson is a better Tucson.