- Radar van locations, traffic incidents & today's gas prices
- Does ethanol raise or lower emissions?
- Live weather radar
- Aztec guard Smith named ACCAC Player of the Week
- Ducey asks feds to fund state border 'strike force'
- AAA: Tucson's Prop. 201 wouldn't make streets safer13
- Varney: What's Plan B after bond defeat?11
- Despite GOP lawsuit, judge's ruling seems to favor city-wide elections9
- Message to GOP: Play the game before you claim you are victims of it9
- GOP Council candidates won East Side, still lost in landslides3
Posted Aug 12, 2012, 12:09 pm
Former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and her husband have purchased a home in Midtown Tucson, and are moving there from Houston, where she's been undergoing rehabilitation.
The Arizona Daily Star reported earlier in the day that Giffords and retired astronaut Mark Kelly will take up residence in Tucson on Sunday.
Absent from the Star report was any info on the home.
Located on a curving street in the high-end El Encanto neighborhood, the new Giffords/Kelly abode is a rambling adobe ranch house with a tile roof and a pool.
The 10-room, 4,500-square-foot home was purchased in June for $1,495,000, Pima County records show. The home's last sale was for $750,000 in 2007.
Giffords has occasionally visited Tucson over the past 18 months, sometimes staying at her Midtown condo, but has spent most of her time at Kelly's Houston-area home as she recovered from being shot in a Jan. 8, 2011, assassination attempt.
Giffords has repeatedly expressed a wish to again live full-time in Tucson.
"Moving back to Tucson today. Gabby has been waiting for this day for a long time," Kelly tweeted Sunday morning.