- Church services for Isabel Celis scheduled for Saturday
- Police & fire scanners
- Live weather radar
- Lightning (and Rath) strike in waning minutes of rugby match
- Report road hazards, graffiti & other issues
- Dems' best hope to beat McSally could be a complete nobody4
- Another good guy with gun takes others with him2
- What new UA president's pay tells us about the salary game1
- Forest Service: Help find person of interest in Mt. Lemmon wildfire1
- Change bill: McCain again pushes dollar coins, eliminating pennies1
Posted Aug 12, 2012, 12:09 pm
Former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and her husband have purchased a home in Midtown Tucson, and are moving there from Houston, where she's been undergoing rehabilitation.
The Arizona Daily Star reported earlier in the day that Giffords and retired astronaut Mark Kelly will take up residence in Tucson on Sunday.
Absent from the Star report was any info on the home.
Located on a curving street in the high-end El Encanto neighborhood, the new Giffords/Kelly abode is a rambling adobe ranch house with a tile roof and a pool.
The 10-room, 4,500-square-foot home was purchased in June for $1,495,000, Pima County records show. The home's last sale was for $750,000 in 2007.
Giffords has occasionally visited Tucson over the past 18 months, sometimes staying at her Midtown condo, but has spent most of her time at Kelly's Houston-area home as she recovered from being shot in a Jan. 8, 2011, assassination attempt.
Giffords has repeatedly expressed a wish to again live full-time in Tucson.
"Moving back to Tucson today. Gabby has been waiting for this day for a long time," Kelly tweeted Sunday morning.
Support TucsonSentinel.com & let thousands of daily readers know
your business cares about creating a HEALTHIER, MORE INFORMED Tucson