- Time runs out for Congress to address border crisis
- Experts: Don’t be fooled by funding gap in tight congressional races
- Why Latin American diplomats are pulling out of Israel
- Streetcar ridership on track: 10k over first paid days10
- Radar van locations, traffic incidents & today's gas prices
Posted Aug 12, 2012, 12:09 pm
Former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and her husband have purchased a home in Midtown Tucson, and are moving there from Houston, where she's been undergoing rehabilitation.
The Arizona Daily Star reported earlier in the day that Giffords and retired astronaut Mark Kelly will take up residence in Tucson on Sunday.
Absent from the Star report was any info on the home.
Located on a curving street in the high-end El Encanto neighborhood, the new Giffords/Kelly abode is a rambling adobe ranch house with a tile roof and a pool.
The 10-room, 4,500-square-foot home was purchased in June for $1,495,000, Pima County records show. The home's last sale was for $750,000 in 2007.
Giffords has occasionally visited Tucson over the past 18 months, sometimes staying at her Midtown condo, but has spent most of her time at Kelly's Houston-area home as she recovered from being shot in a Jan. 8, 2011, assassination attempt.
Giffords has repeatedly expressed a wish to again live full-time in Tucson.
"Moving back to Tucson today. Gabby has been waiting for this day for a long time," Kelly tweeted Sunday morning.