- Az advocates react as court overturns Texas abortion restrictions
- Woman killed in 3-car crash on Southeast Side
- 9th Circuit dismisses Terry family's lawsuit over BP agent's death
- Human remains found at Cochise County power plant
- Live weather radar
- Heraldgate is needlessly spinning out of control on Ally Miller2
- Deadlocked court leaves thousands of immigrants in limbo 2
- Update: 2 hikers die, 1 missing, on Tucson trails as temps spike to 115-plus2
- Ex-Ally Miller staffer 'confesses' he was behind bizarre blog2
- Giffords calls for civility in this ‘very negative’ campaign season2
Posted Aug 12, 2012, 12:09 pm
Former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and her husband have purchased a home in Midtown Tucson, and are moving there from Houston, where she's been undergoing rehabilitation.
The Arizona Daily Star reported earlier in the day that Giffords and retired astronaut Mark Kelly will take up residence in Tucson on Sunday.
Absent from the Star report was any info on the home.
Located on a curving street in the high-end El Encanto neighborhood, the new Giffords/Kelly abode is a rambling adobe ranch house with a tile roof and a pool.
The 10-room, 4,500-square-foot home was purchased in June for $1,495,000, Pima County records show. The home's last sale was for $750,000 in 2007.
Giffords has occasionally visited Tucson over the past 18 months, sometimes staying at her Midtown condo, but has spent most of her time at Kelly's Houston-area home as she recovered from being shot in a Jan. 8, 2011, assassination attempt.
Giffords has repeatedly expressed a wish to again live full-time in Tucson.
"Moving back to Tucson today. Gabby has been waiting for this day for a long time," Kelly tweeted Sunday morning.
Support TucsonSentinel.com today, because a smarter Tucson is a better Tucson.