- Radar van locations, traffic incidents & today's gas prices
- Superintendents: State budget cuts threaten technical, trade education
- Census: Fewer Arizona households received food stamps in 2013
- Az budget: School's out forever!
- Live weather radar
- Babeu tells House panel there’s ‘no law’ on immigration under Obama7
- Douglas folds in showdown with Ducey over firings6
- Endangered Mexican gray wolves get room to roam5
- Bill would create REAL ID-compliant licenses – if Arizonans pay for them4
- High court grills both sides in Arizona redistricting case4
Posted Jun 24, 2014, 4:23 pm
Reid Park Zoo would like to invite the community to "an elephant-sized baby shower" Sunday for Semba, a pregnant African elephant.
"Although Semba’s calf is not expected for a few more weeks, any pregnancy lasting 22 months deserves a party," said zoo spokeswoman Kristen Metzger.
Although this is Semba's third baby, it is the first elephant pregnancy at the Reid Park Zoo, and staff are excited. The celebration will include crafts, activities, shower games, and a giant card for guests to sign to welcome the baby when he or she arrives, Metzger said.
Zoo keepers will be demonstrating and sharing information about Semba's pregnancy care including stretching, foot care, and body conditioning. They will also be giving free tours of the Elephant Care Center at 9:30 a.m., said Metzger.
And what's a baby shower without cake? The staff will have cupcakes for the first hundred guests, and "a special healthy 'cake' for the elephant herd to enjoy, along with a few food 'gifts' for them to open,"Metzger said.
Guests interested in bringing a shower gift or making a contribution should check out Semba's Baby Wish List.
More information about Semba's pregnancy, including a baby blog, recent photos, and suggested ways to help can all be found on the Zoo's Pachyderm Pregnancy Page.