- Some Downtown streets to close for Sun Link celebrations
- Report: Driving drops in Az as more ride public transportation
- Homeland Security: Fewer Central American kids crossing border
- Radar van locations, traffic incidents & today's gas prices
- Live weather radar
- Daily Star paywall to charge online readers19
- Babeu tip prompts some to plan blockade of Oracle migrant kids' shelter5
- Feds delay busing migrant kids to Oracle; rival groups demonstrate4
- Math is hard: U.S. still likely to get to next stage of World Cup3
- Obamacare-driven competition lowering rates in some states2
Posted Jun 24, 2014, 4:23 pm
Reid Park Zoo would like to invite the community to "an elephant-sized baby shower" Sunday for Semba, a pregnant African elephant.
"Although Semba’s calf is not expected for a few more weeks, any pregnancy lasting 22 months deserves a party," said zoo spokeswoman Kristen Metzger.
Although this is Semba's third baby, it is the first elephant pregnancy at the Reid Park Zoo, and staff are excited. The celebration will include crafts, activities, shower games, and a giant card for guests to sign to welcome the baby when he or she arrives, Metzger said.
Zoo keepers will be demonstrating and sharing information about Semba's pregnancy care including stretching, foot care, and body conditioning. They will also be giving free tours of the Elephant Care Center at 9:30 a.m., said Metzger.
And what's a baby shower without cake? The staff will have cupcakes for the first hundred guests, and "a special healthy 'cake' for the elephant herd to enjoy, along with a few food 'gifts' for them to open,"Metzger said.
Guests interested in bringing a shower gift or making a contribution should check out Semba's Baby Wish List.
More information about Semba's pregnancy, including a baby blog, recent photos, and suggested ways to help can all be found on the Zoo's Pachyderm Pregnancy Page.