- 100K Arizona workers could see salary bump with expanded OT rules
- Radar van locations, traffic incidents & today's gas prices
- NWS issues severe thunderstorm warning
- $3M in marijuana seized by ICE, BP agents
- Cut lighter fluid for tastier grilling, less pollution
Posted May 15, 2012, 3:06 pm
A 43-year-old Mexican man was arrested Sunday for trying to smuggle more than 7 pounds of cocaine into the United States using a wheelchair, U.S. Customs and Border Protection said.
Officers working at the Dennis DeConcini Port of Entry in Nogales referred the man for secondary inspection of the chair after they noticed something "peculiar" with the seat cushion, CBP said in a press release.
Officers found approximately 7.2 pounds of cocaine worth $65,500 stuffed inside the seat cushion, CBP said.
The drugs were seized and the man was turned over to ICE's Homeland Security Investigations, CBP said.
TucsonSentinel.com's original reporting and curation of border and immigration news is generously supported in part by a grant from the Ethics and Excellence in Journalism Foundation.