- Live weather radar
- Police & fire scanners
- Report road hazards, graffiti & other issues
- Wildcats continue spring season against UTEP Miners
- Judge rules feds can try BP agent in Nogales cross-border shooting
- A note to UA's new president: In my day, we didn't have 'safe places'7
- Lawyer: BP 'lost or destroyed' original video of Nogales cross-border shooting1
- Shafer withdraws as candidate for TUSD interim sup't1
- TUSD set to hire interim leaders after apparent open meeting law violation1
- JCPenney may close El Con store1
Posted Jan 25, 2011, 4:48 pm
Members of Congress have been asked to wear black and white lapel ribbons at Tuesday's State of the Union address to honor the victims of the Jan. 8 Tucson shootings.
Reps. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla., and Michael McCaul, R-Tex., sent a letter to their colleagues asking them to wear the ribbons.
"It would be fitting that Members, Administration officials and others, wear these ribbons tonight as a symbol of solidarity with the community and the nation," the letter said. "The white ribbon represents hope for a peaceful, nonviolent society. The black ribbon is in remembrance of all who have died and been wounded as a result of violence."
Tucson-based Homicide Survivors Inc., a nonprofit that offers assistance to the families of murder victims, has used the ribbons for years.
"As the Tucson community works to heal and comes together in solidarity, Reps. McCaul and Wasserman Schultz believe it would be fitting that Members, Administration officials and others, wear these ribbons on Tuesday as a symbol of solidarity with the community and the nation," the lawmakers' letter said.
Members of the Arizona delegation plan to save an empty seat in honor of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who is still hospitalized following the attack.
Radio talker Rush Limbaugh isn't joining in the bipartisan tribute to the victims of the Tucson shootings. Instead, he mocked the call to wear ribbons Tuesday, saying that Democrats and Republicans might join in a sing-along of "Ebony and Ivory."