Sponsored by

Fox 11 to lay off news staff, cancel newscast in Feb.

Tucson's Fox affiliate, KMSB Channel 11, told employees Tuesday morning that it will lay off its entire news team and cancel its local news broadcasts in February. Some 40-50 staffers will lose their jobs, including reporters, engineers and other station personnel.... Read more»

1 2 >
Nov 15, 2011, 12:19 pm

Local news sources continue to shrink. Fox 11 seems to do a pretty good job of Tweeting breaking news, too.

Nov 15, 2011, 1:02 pm

More sad news for the community and those who will not have a job. I have been unemployed 7 times since 2002 in Tucson, there right now. Like so many my wages have gone down and no health insurance.

Nov 15, 2011, 3:01 pm

Wow.

Speaking just for myself as a guy who watched TV…on the rare nights I do it, I’m usually watching something else at 9, and when I do watch TV news I watch it at 10.

I will say this, though…the rare times I checked out the KMSB newscasts, they didn’t do anything that made me angry or disgusted. That’s rare when I can say that about a media outlet.

Nov 15, 2011, 3:30 pm

“The media business is in an interesting stretch right now,” one KMSB staffer said ironically.”

FOX “News” has always been an “interesting” stretch of the news.

Nov 15, 2011, 3:38 pm

@Quietwoman2

Remember, although most are owned by national chains, local affiliates generally have very loose ties to their national network news organizations.

Nov 15, 2011, 3:42 pm

Part of why the Sentinel appeals to me is that it’s locally owned and operated. We need much more of that in our media outlets.

Nov 15, 2011, 3:55 pm

Bret Linden said:

Part of why the Sentinel appeals to me is that itís locally owned and operated. We need much more of that in our media outlets.

Amen, Bret!

Nov 15, 2011, 5:59 pm

Thanks Dylan- point taken regarding loose affiliation.;)

Nov 15, 2011, 6:34 pm

@Dylan Smith

I knew if I kept chipping away at it that I would eventually post a comment you agreed with :)

Nov 15, 2011, 8:02 pm

@Bret Linden

Given my contrarian nature, it’s tough for people to know what I agree with, and what I’m being skeptical about. That’s the gig, after all….

Nov 15, 2011, 9:09 pm

@Dylan Smith

I have to confess something to you Dylan…I had to google for a definition of the word “contrarian”. But, once I did, it all came together. Contrarian, contrary…very clever. Well played. :)

Nov 15, 2011, 10:55 pm

@Bret Linden

Never let it be said that we’re writing at a 4th grade level, because we think our readers are ignorant.

We’re doing it because we don’t know any better. Thanks, ladies and germs.

Heck, I used “foci” in a story yesterday; I was tempted to go with “focuseseses,” though….

Nov 16, 2011, 6:34 am

Internet balderdash notwithstanding, this thread has got my wheels turning upstairs about something. Perhaps one of the reasons that good journalism in this town is in critical condition is because most of the media outlets around here are owned by people who probably be hard-pressed to find Tucson on a map were they asked to do so…well, one of the reasons anyway.

Nov 23, 2011, 8:53 am

I think another reason good journalism is dying is…well, allow me to paraphrase Jesse Ventura, who correctly points out that the mass media is no longer in the news business, they’re in the entertainment business. Journalistic integrity no longer exists. Media outlets no longer care if a story is newsworthy, but whether or not it will generate ratings. Hell, even the Sentinel is still tracking Giffords daily movements…

Take the Arizona Daily Star for example. When I was growing up in the 80’s, the ADS was a great paper. Reading it daily helped me to learn and grow and sparked my interest in following local politics. But, somewhere in the 1990’s something went terribly wrong there…

My guess why the ADS has deteriorated from a once-fine publication to the seemingly media arm of the local Democratic party is business. The most popular business model out there is “appeal to the lowest common denominator”. The ADS is bought by some out-of-towners. Those out-of-towners see our inexplicably high percentage of registered Democrats in this town. So, they change the ADS from a legit media outlet to a wall-to-wall left-biased editorial that they somewhat attempt to disguise as legit news, making the Dems feel good about themselves and hopefully selling them newspapers.

Is this good business? Debatable, but judging from their parent’s ongoing financial troubles I would have to say no.

Is it good journalism? Absolutely not, and it never will be.

Nov 23, 2011, 9:15 am

@Bret Linden
The Star was “bought by some out-of-towners” in 1971, then sold to another national newspaper chain in 2005.

As for the paper’s liberal bent, many local Democrats find the Star’s coverage hostile - they think the paper is a creature of moneyed interests.

But it’s all about perception - there’s that word again….

1 2 >

Sorry, comments are closed

You must be logged in or register to comment

Categories

news, business, media & journalism, local, arizona, breaking
Sponsored by

Top Commenters

• Bret Linden: 1766
  • Dylan Smith: 540
  • Cactus Dave: 339
  • buddhaboy: 316
  • Roberto De Vido: 270
  • Brittanicus: 176
  • Quietwoman2: 172
  • EllieMae: 151
  • TucsonGirl: 116
  • janamg: 88
Sponsored by

I want to help TucsonSentinel.com offer a real news alternative!

We're committed to making quality news accessible; we'll never set up a paywall or charge for our site. But we rely on your support to bring you independent news without the spin. Use our convenient PayPal/credit card donation form below or contact us at donate@tucsonsentinel.com today.

Subscribe and stretch your donation over time:

$10/mo. Printer's Devil
$15/mo. Cub Reporter
$20/mo. Stringer
$40/mo. Correspondent
$50/mo. Senior Correspondent
Enter your own monthly amount (number only)

Or give a secure one-time gift with PayPal or your credit card:

$5,000 Newshound
$2,500 Copy desk chief
$1,000 Trusted source
$500 Correspondent
$250 Stringer
$100 Cub reporter
$50 Printer's Devil
$25 Informed Source
$10 Dear Reader
Enter your own amount (below)

TucsonSentinel.com is an Arizona nonprofit organization fiscally sponsored by FCIR.org, a 501c3 charity. Your contribution is tax-deductible.

User Guidelines

Please be respectful and relevant. Thought-provoking. Or at least funny.

We want comments to advance the discussion and we need your help. Debate, disagree, yell (digitally) or laugh, but do it with respect.

We won't censor your comments if we don't agree with you; we want viewpoints from across the political spectrum. We're dedicated to sparking an open, active discussion. We believe people with differing opinions can spark debate and effect change.

Comments are open to registered users of TucsonSentinel.com.

Keep in mind:

• A conversation involves sharing and respect. Support your viewpoint with facts, not attacks.
  • Ask questions. Search out answers.
  • Remember that being part of a community requires tolerance for differing views.
  • We can't ensure that all comments are based in truth. The only comments we endorse are those we write ourselves.

TucsonSentinel.com does not allow:

• Hate speech. Blatantly racist, sexist or homophobic slurs or calls for violence against a particular type of person, etc. will be removed.
  • Obscenity & excessive cursing. Sometimes a well-placed curse word - if you're creative enough to get it past our auto-censor - can express your point in just the right way. But we say '%*$& no' to cursing for cursing's sake. And lose the explicit sexually-descriptive language. It doesn't contribute to the debate and there are plenty of other places on the Internet to find it.
  • Flaming. During a heated discussion, unkind words may be spoken. We can live with a certain amount of rudeness in the name of provocative conversation, but a pattern of personal attacks (name-calling, mocking, or baiting) is not acceptable nor are threatening or harassing comments. Show some respect, please.
  • Explicit political endorsements. As a nonprofit we can't allow electioneering. Analysis and explanation of political issues and candidates are encouraged, but specific calls to vote for or against a measure or politician should be done elsewhere.
  • Spam. Solicitation of products or services isn't allowed; contact us about advertising, we'd love to talk to you. Links to off-topic sites may be deleted.
  • Copyright or IP infringement. Lengthy quotes and violations of 'Fair Use' aren't allowed. Anything you post should be your own work.
  • Overposting. Don't bore people and waste electrons with identical comments on multiple stories or repetitive comments that don't advance a conversation.
  • Trolling, sockpuppetry, and other abusive behavior. Please don't feed the trolls and don't pretend to be someone you're not.
  • Gossip. Don't bring up others who can't defend themselves. We don't give out personal information; you shouldn't either.

Comments that violate these guidelines may be removed. We reserve the right to make up the rules as we go along.

Flagging

Commentors are solely responsible for the opinions they express and the accuracy of the information they provide. Users who violate these standards may lose their privileges on TucsonSentinel.com.

Sentinel editors can't read every comment. Trolls, spammers and other troublemakers can slide under the bridge. We rely on you to help maintain a healthy conversation - more than likely, you're reading these comments before the editors.

What if you see something inappropriate? Use the 'Flag' button to send it to a moderation queue. Help us out and tell us why you're reporting it; please don't report someone just because you disagree with them. Boy who cried wolf and all that. We'll take appropriate action on violations.

We will not edit comments to alter their meaning or censor comments because of political content.

We will not remove comments solely because they are heartless, cruel, coarse, foolish or just plain wrong. Your disapproval can maintain a decent signal to noise ratio. Ultimately, however, self-policing is the best method.

Bottom line, don't be a jerk.

Sign up for TucsonSentinel.com email newsletters!

find us on facebook