Sponsored by

Casino cancels Bill Cosby show as rape allegations garner attention

Following questions raised by TucsonSentinel.com about whether a performance by Bill Cosby would be held as scheduled, Desert Diamond Casino said that the Feb. 15 show has been cancelled.

Allegations by multiple women that Cosby sexually assaulted them, including statements that he drugged and molested or raped some, have gained increasing attention over the past week. Several of the women have said for years that Cosby raped them, but a segment of a performance by comedian Hannibal Buress drew renewed attention to the allegations.

The entertainers recent high profile, with an extensive "Bill Cosby 77" tour and projects in the works with NBC and and a comedy special slated for Netflix, played into the attention given to the accusations. Netflix has put off the special, and NBC cancelled plans to develop a primetime program with the comedian.

Cosby has refused to comment on the charges.

"We don't answer that," he told an Associated Press reporter.

Thursday morning, the Sentinel asked PR representatives for the casino if the February show would remain on the calendar. While they didn't reply directly, a short afternoon press release announced that the show was cancelled.

Tickets for the show went on sale just last Saturday.

"We regret any inconvenience to our guests over this cancellation," said Treena Parvello, a spokeswoman for the casino. Casino representatives didn't give a reason for calling off the show.

Thanks to our donors and sponsors for their support of local independent reporting. Join Andria Burke, Fred Seger, and Maeve Robertson and contribute today!

Ticketholders who paid with a credit card will be automatically refunded, while those who paid cash can get a full refund in person at the casino.

- 30 -
have your say   

Latest comments on this storyRead all 5 »

5
1767 comments
Nov 20, 2014, 6:49 pm
-0 +1

@Dylan Smith

Yeah, last decade of accusations. But, one I read went as far back as 1968 as far as when these incidents too place. So, maybe it should have been reported in 1968, not 2004 or later.

I’m not taking a side in this issue. To be honest, I don’t know if I think he’s guilty or not. As I said, to be Bill’s credibility is hurt by the fact that he won’t talk about it, and his accuser’s credibility are hurt (most of them, from what I can tell) didn’t come forward at the time of the alleged incidents.

So, I don’t know who to believe here.

4
539 comments
Nov 20, 2014, 4:58 pm
-0 +1

@Bret Linden,

This piece by Bill Wyman (linked in the story, as well) is a pretty good run-down of the many reports over the past decade on Cosby’s alleged sexual assaults.

3
1767 comments
Nov 20, 2014, 4:51 pm
-0 +1

@Dylan Smith

Still true. It was clearly demonstrated in upstate New York earlier this year when a grand jury refused to indict Tony Stewart…probably because they felt Stewart was needed in the hunt for Nicole Simpson’s “real killer”.

But, I see what you’re saying. It seems as if we as a society (generally speaking) have moved from one extreme to the other. I say let all the facts come out, become clear, then let’s pass judgment on the guy.

In fairness to Cosby’s accusers, though, Bill isn’t talking. If someone is innocent I kind of like them to be saying that publicly themselves, and not through a lawyer or anything like that. But, at the same time, when someone is victimized I like them to be mad at it at the time and not decades later.

Sorry, we missed your input...

You must be logged in or register to comment

Click image to enlarge

U.S. Navy photo

Cosby in 2006.