Sponsored by

Rodeo photographer, Western legend Louise Serpa dead at 86

From the archive: Rodeo photographer, Tucson fixture, mother and legend of the West Louise Serpa died Thursday. There are a lot of things I wish I had the chance to say to Louise before she mounted up and rode out into the ether.... Read more»

Jan 5, 2012, 5:14 pm

So sorry to hear about Louise’s death, but what a life she led! How fortunate I feel to have been able to meet her and hang out with her and Lauren on several occasions. RIP, Louise. My condolences to Lauren and the rest of the family.

Jan 5, 2012, 5:18 pm

Not to take anything away from this article, which is great, but here’s what I wrote about Louise years ago for a mythical newspaper known as the Tucson Citizen: http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue2/1997/06/07/33302-louise-serpa/

Jan 5, 2012, 9:17 pm

When you hear the term all-around, you think of someone who wins in all rodeo events…Louise was an all-around…in every aspect of life…Mother, mentor, friend, Vassar Grad, USO singer, photographer, author..whatever she did she did full out…she touched so many people…and each was made better by knowing her…if even for a few small moments in time…She was one of a kind.. First female photographer to shoot in the ring at the Dublin horse show…first female photographer permitted on the course of the Grand National Steeplechase in England..and first Female photographer given a press card from the Rodeo Cowboy Association and allowed in the arena… Full out and on her own terms…that is how Louise rode through life

Prayers of strength and healing go out to Mia and the rest of the family. Just remember she is never more thana heartbeat and a whisper away

Jan 6, 2012, 9:03 am

I was thinking of all sorts of things to say but the best I can come up with is good bye my sweet friend. You gave it a hell of a ride and the world is a better place because of you. Louise took me in as her surrogate son my senior year of high school and helped me through a difficult time in my life.God rest your soul Louise. My prayers are with Mia and Lauren in this difficult and challenging time.

Jan 6, 2012, 7:09 pm

I didn’t know her, but it sounds as if I missed out on a hell of a person. My condolences on the loss.

Jan 17, 2012, 6:51 am

I worked for Louise and she was my absolute favorite! Before Louise was diagnosed with cancer she would work right along with me, and often would wear me out! She was the toughest lady i’ve ever met. I’m so blessed to have known her I’ll miss seeing her every friday. I was “the help” but she never treated me any differant than anyone she knew, she was there for me anytime i needed her, she was my friend! I’ll miss you Louise and cherish the time we had together. love you ! Bobby G

Sorry, we missed your input...

You must be logged in or register to comment

Click to enlarge

Will Seberger/TucsonSentinel.com

Rodeo photographer Louise Serpa in her Tucson home, Sept. 2006.

Categories

news, family/life, history, local, arizona, sports, outdoors, arts & culture, visual arts, entertainment
Sponsored by

Top Commenters

• Bret Linden: 1756
  • Dylan Smith: 515
  • Cactus Dave: 339
  • buddhaboy: 316
  • Roberto De Vido: 270
  • Brittanicus: 176
  • Quietwoman2: 172
  • EllieMae: 130
  • TucsonGirl: 116
  • janamg: 88
Sponsored by

I want to help TucsonSentinel.com offer a real news alternative!

We're committed to making quality news accessible; we'll never set up a paywall or charge for our site. But we rely on your support to bring you independent news without the spin. Use our convenient PayPal/credit card donation form below or contact us at donate@tucsonsentinel.com today.

Donate securely with PayPal

$5,000 Newshound
$2,500 Copy desk chief
$1,000 Trusted source
$500 Correspondent
$250 Stringer
$100 Cub reporter
$50 Printer's Devil
$25 Informed Source
$10 Dear Reader
Enter your own amount (below)

OR: Subscribe and stretch your donation over time

$5/mo. Printer's Devil
$10/mo. Cub Reporter
$20/mo. Stringer
$40/mo. Correspondent
Enter your own monthly amount (number only)

TucsonSentinel.com is an Arizona nonprofit organization fiscally sponsored by FCIR.org, a 501c3 charity. Your contribution is tax-deductible.

User Guidelines

Please be respectful and relevant. Thought-provoking. Or at least funny.

We want comments to advance the discussion and we need your help. Debate, disagree, yell (digitally) or laugh, but do it with respect.

We won't censor your comments if we don't agree with you; we want viewpoints from across the political spectrum. We're dedicated to sparking an open, active discussion. We believe people with differing opinions can spark debate and effect change.

Comments are open to registered users of TucsonSentinel.com.

Keep in mind:

• A conversation involves sharing and respect. Support your viewpoint with facts, not attacks.
  • Ask questions. Search out answers.
  • Remember that being part of a community requires tolerance for differing views.
  • We can't ensure that all comments are based in truth. The only comments we endorse are those we write ourselves.

TucsonSentinel.com does not allow:

• Hate speech. Blatantly racist, sexist or homophobic slurs or calls for violence against a particular type of person, etc. will be removed.
  • Obscenity & excessive cursing. Sometimes a well-placed curse word - if you're creative enough to get it past our auto-censor - can express your point in just the right way. But we say '%*$& no' to cursing for cursing's sake. And lose the explicit sexually-descriptive language. It doesn't contribute to the debate and there are plenty of other places on the Internet to find it.
  • Flaming. During a heated discussion, unkind words may be spoken. We can live with a certain amount of rudeness in the name of provocative conversation, but a pattern of personal attacks (name-calling, mocking, or baiting) is not acceptable nor are threatening or harassing comments. Show some respect, please.
  • Explicit political endorsements. As a nonprofit we can't allow electioneering. Analysis and explanation of political issues and candidates are encouraged, but specific calls to vote for or against a measure or politician should be done elsewhere.
  • Spam. Solicitation of products or services isn't allowed; contact us about advertising, we'd love to talk to you. Links to off-topic sites may be deleted.
  • Copyright or IP infringement. Lengthy quotes and violations of 'Fair Use' aren't allowed. Anything you post should be your own work.
  • Overposting. Don't bore people and waste electrons with identical comments on multiple stories or repetitive comments that don't advance a conversation.
  • Trolling, sockpuppetry, and other abusive behavior. Please don't feed the trolls and don't pretend to be someone you're not.
  • Gossip. Don't bring up others who can't defend themselves. We don't give out personal information; you shouldn't either.

Comments that violate these guidelines may be removed. We reserve the right to make up the rules as we go along.

Flagging

Commentors are solely responsible for the opinions they express and the accuracy of the information they provide. Users who violate these standards may lose their privileges on TucsonSentinel.com.

Sentinel editors can't read every comment. Trolls, spammers and other troublemakers can slide under the bridge. We rely on you to help maintain a healthy conversation - more than likely, you're reading these comments before the editors.

What if you see something inappropriate? Use the 'Flag' button to send it to a moderation queue. Help us out and tell us why you're reporting it; please don't report someone just because you disagree with them. Boy who cried wolf and all that. We'll take appropriate action on violations.

We will not edit comments to alter their meaning or censor comments because of political content.

We will not remove comments solely because they are heartless, cruel, coarse, foolish or just plain wrong. Your disapproval can maintain a decent signal to noise ratio. Ultimately, however, self-policing is the best method.

Bottom line, don't be a jerk.

Sign up for TucsonSentinel.com email newsletters!

find us on facebook